• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shelter ladder storage?

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've wondered about this loads over the last few years, and now that I have a shelter hanging out in the bed I really have been head scratching.
Was there a standard way of mounting the ladder when the bed is filled w/ a shelter. Did it just get transported on the floor of the shelter? Doesn't seem to make any sense w/ all the pricey equipment in there.

And if there wasn't a standard way of transporting, what have others done? I'm very interested in options (not that I plan on keeping it there).

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The only time I have seen mounts for a ladder is on an s250 or an M109/185. I have not seen mounts on an s280 that I can recall.

Edit, I'm sure the TM will be brought up. Is your shelter a 280 or one of the other variants?

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's marked as an S448. Measures out a bit smaller that an S280, by inches. I've searched for TM's on it and can't even find a reference to it.
So yes, I'm talking about when the bed is full of shelter and there's no other room for things (like all my ammo boxes of necessities ;) )
I know that there were deuces that lived w/ a shelter in the back (mine was one), so where did they carry the ladder?

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M146 command semi trailer has mounts on the top inside of the right rear door which the ladder tabs insert into and also an underbody mount.
Right, that I know. I have 4 of them. But the shelters that I've seen, 280 sized one, don't seem to have mounts inside or out. When it's in the bed there's no room to put a ladder anywhere. I can't believe that they wanted people climbing up the tailgate step to get in and out.

Must have had a ladder transporter that traveled w/ the loaded deuce rofl

RAYZER

Seems your going to have to improvise.
Are you using a m109 ladder?
Can you hang the ladder somewhere on the exterior of the shelter vertically or horizontally via some custom fabricated brackets?

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The last shelter I got was made in 2008 and the ladder came mounted to the inside of the door.
003.jpg 002.jpg 004.jpg 001.jpg

Last edited:

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems your going to have to improvise.
Are you using a m109 ladder?
Can you hang the ladder somewhere on the exterior of the shelter vertically or horizontally via some custom fabricated brackets?
I would if I was keeping it there, I'm not. As soon as I move this 10' x 20' shed for a friend I'll be pushing out onto the trailer.
Just having it in the bed for the last month has me thinking about "how it was done".
I'm sure there has to be some vets that worked w/ comm boxes in the trucks, and I was hoping they would tell us how they saw it done.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Yep I lucked out on that shelter it's made for a 14' bed, so have to leave the deuce tailgate horizontal. 001.jpg With 1100 XL's I need a 2 step ladder to reach the lock to get the boarding ladder out. Then it becomes a question of where to put the step stool, space between the cab and shelter!

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks nice! That's the first time I've seen one cabled that way. Do you have details of the bed mounts?

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
They too came off a 14' bed, each cable has it's own stake pocket block. Big hunk of steel a little larger than the stake pocket hole, thread all the way through with a eye bolt. Already dark (storm) I'll try an add a picture tomorrow.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Here are the pictures, you put the block in from below then screw in the eye bolt from the top.002.jpg 003.jpg sorry I don't have extras these are going to another guy on the site.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks