• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shot In The Dark

Marlboro

My buddy has come across to five ton tractors at a local farm, He says they have gas engines and have sat for a very long time outside. Iam very much into the learning process of any military truck, so a few stupid question... What would these be labeled as m????? Lets say they ran when parked, what do you think it would take to get them to run? Also sorry no pics of these, and i havent seen them yet, but what would be a fair price to throw out to this gentleman?opinions??? Would they be worth the headache? Thanks for putting up with this thread in advance:roll:

Unforgiven

On the top title bar under the Steel Soldiers title in orange go to Resources --> Classified Ads --> Vehicles. There are dozens of various military models for sale. Look for the ones that resemble your potential tractor.

That's what I did to figure out all this M stuff.

stumps

First check to see if the engine is stuck. If it is stuck, you might want to pass...

Typically, the easiest way to get them to run is to first run a point file through the points, and next rebuild the carburettor. Don't even think about using the gas tank! After you have the carburettor done, plugs changed, fluids checked, and a new battery installed, hook up an auxiliary fuel tank, and start her up.

As to the price, if it has been out in the field with trees growing through it, free, or at least don't charge too much ;-)
Field storage is very hard on vehicles. They will be well and thoroughly moused, deeply rusted, and maybe even have a few gear cases broken due to freeze damage.

I wouldn't offer more than a couple of hundred bucks at most.

-Chuck

Last edited:

Marlboro

On the top title bar under the Steel Soldiers title in orange go to Resources --> Classified Ads --> Vehicles. There are dozens of various military models for sale. Look for the ones that resemble your potential tractor.

That's what I did to figure out all this M stuff.
Thats a good idea! I tried that but think a 5 ton gasser is pretty old and maybe even rare... I didnt see anything in the classified section.

Barrman

Think 2-4 mpg if you get them running too. Duece cab, doors and such if you need body work.

If the engines don't turn, don't pay more than scrap plus you cost to get them home.

Barrman

I only get 4.4-5 with my Gasser M35 and I have read reports here about 5 ton Gassers getting about half that. Sorry if I passed on bad info.

Barrman

I thought of that after I wrote the post above. All reports about Gasser 5 tons were in wreckers. My Gasser M35 probably has more heft to it than a 5 ton tractor too.

Scarecrow1

The cost of the truck would be the long and the short of it .. If you love to take on a hobbie truck and don't put much money in the truckit's self then go for it ....I on the other hand try to find out what the end cost will be , and if it exceeds the fair market cost of the truck you can purchase already in good shape ....I am not going to spend weeks under and around a truck and spend more money than it's worth just to say I did it ....But thats just me:wink:..Offer him almost nothing then you've got nothing to lose ...I mean scrap value at the most.....

Marlboro

Went to look at these trucks after work yesterday, Turns out they are deuces! I looked them over and they were very well beat down by the weather, I'd say no body parts would be useable. The farmer said he remembers the one running last in the mid 80's and the other he doesn't have a clue. They are both gas powered and were used for hauling tomato's. He said he would like to get $700 a piece, and he wished we'd buy them or else they were getting ready to be scraped. We are thinking of offering $500 each and either try to make one run for farm use/toy, or just cut out all drivetrain parts and scrap the bodies. Locally we could make our complete investment back by selling just one front axle to a mud truck builder...:mrgreen:

Marlboro Man

Well i am not too new, used marlboro name for a little bit. But know that i am in action on my own name we will be able to git pics up easier. SO for an update on these trucks we went and picked one up for 600. and old marlboro got to tow another deuce home. he pulled mine back to. the only pic of my truck that i have has a tarp on it, no front window. but here are the pics let us know what u think boys. We had to save her and probly will go back for the other one

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks