• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Silicone sealer between HEMTT wheel halves

Lonnie

Just ran into an issue where a previous owner put silicone sealer between the rim halves.
I had the misfortune of trying to get them apart this weekend.

After pulling & prying with no luck, I removed all the studs to allow less interference.
Still they were not coming apart.

I then tried to leave the bolts between the rim halves loose & apply air to pop them apart.
Again no luck.

I managed to get a the beads unseated slightly (no beadlock installed) but could not get the halves to budge.

I then resorted to heavier equipment. I got a cable between the bead & wheel on both sides, so I attached them to the rear of 2 trucks to pull them apart. Took a few hard tugs, eventually dragging one truck (in gravel, but still a 6000lb vehicle) before the halves separated.

Don't underestimate the holding power of a large patch of gasket adhesive, or ever do this to your wheels if you think you will have to take them apart.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I have had 5-ton rims the military gooped with silicone when they sealed it. Since so many rims leak down I can see why they did it. The o-rings don't always seal as well as they were intended to.

Special T

A little thicker O ring would make all the difference in the world. I could see laying a little RTV in the grouve so that it would hold the O ring and make it stick out a little better. Or maybe use some slip tac on the O ring to help it seal.

Rmtaunton

I am a fan of rubber safe axle/ bearing grease, use to use it on my 53 rims as they were pitted and then to my rock crawlers as low air pressure gets sand and etc in the bead with the beads packed full if grease they always hold an reseat so easy , and for the two peace rims I coated the groves and the rubber ring with it , and I know those wheels haven't lost a pound in a year :) just a helpful hint , I know we all do it differently but that's my 2 cents

Lonnie

When I put my new wheels together I used many different chemicals.

I put anti-sieze on the threads, tire lube on the bead & wheel barrels (made pushing the wheels in the tires so much easier), grease on the 2 halves where they mate together (to prevent rust), & a coat of bead sealer on the face of the bead (to help prevent leaks).

Now hopefully they wont rust internally, or leak, & still come apart if I ever need to do it again.

I will say working with these tires is definitely a chore.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks