• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Simple fix for broken CUCV transfer case indicator

TexAndy

The indicator bar on my transfer case didn't show any "bubble."

So I took it apart and discovered what the problem was. The bubble is part of a single hard plastic piece which has two arms that capture the transfer case selector lever so that the lever moves the bubble up and down the glass window on the face of the black plastic cover.

One of the arms was broken.

I tried gluing the broken piece back on, but predictably, the glue didn't hold long. Some plastics just don't glue well and I suspect this is one.

Luckily, I had some scrap polycarbonate (very hard, durable plastic) pieces in the shop. So I cut an L-shaped one, sanded down the "hump" on the original piece so it had a flat surface, and screwed the L-piece to it. Easy peasy.

Works great now. I also repainted the bubble as it was totally faded. I didn't have any orange paint, so I used red model paint.

Anyways, here's some pics.

cucvrus

Nice fix. May I suggest that you move the 4WD indicator wires to the outside of the firewall and to the transfer case switch. It is just an idea. And it cleans up the floor from the wires. I do all mine that way and then run a light into the transfer case shifter indicator mechanism so it is lit at night when the park lights are on. I run them wires up from the bottom also and use the same type of plug as the front fender marker lights. It is just an idea and any easy update. Also I have a shifter knob from the upullit that came from an Nissan Pathfinder. Has the same shift pattern embossed on the knob. Drilled the hole out and tapped it, it fits right on the shift handle.

TexAndy

My switch doesn't work. I jumped the switch wires and got the light to come on that way.

I've been trying for the past couple of hours to remove the switch. I can get a wrench on it, but I can't get it to budge. And there's no room to get a cheater on the wrench.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks