• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Slantback/helmet top/soft top differences

Just getting into the mv scene, I have been looking at different rigs, 5 tons, ww2 jeeps and of course the Humvees. I just want to verify what I think I understand about the tops for them. I know there's 2 dr., 4 dr., trucks, etc. I would guess that they're all a standard base model, if I am wanting a slantback/turtle shell style one, but find a softop 4 dr one, and eventually find a slantback top conversion, I can't just pull one off and put on the other without all the accommodating hardware, correct? Like pillars, channels, etc. I guess what I am really getting at is, if my end goal is to get a specific style, is it best just to keep looking until it becomes available rather than getting one that's not that and converting it down the road? Thanks for any help, advice and suggestions.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yes, the base trucks are essentially identical.

In the year I've owned mine it's been a 2 door pickup, 2 door troop carrier, 2 door and 4 door helmet hard top (tall version) and currently a 2 door BEOD, with a lot of switching back and forth for events and such.

installing a hard top takes a lot of time and effort, so as has been said, if you want a slantback you are better off just buying a slantback and being done with it. Same goes for a regular hard roof.
Helmet hard top and soft tops are a lot easier to change around, and the BEOD or other shelters that bolt down into the back of the truck aren't all that hard to change around if you have access to lifting equipment (and I usually just use some straps, a couple of trees, and a couple of come-alongs and can have it switched between the BEOD and a 2 door troop carrier in 2 or 3 hours)

IMG_20190921_160526-1.jpg
c7c2f9b63841254c7823013dad306619abcc034c-1.jpg
1d0baa3074cc08da486dceff01c0285b1d60f9a1-1.jpg

yes, the base trucks are essentially identical.

In the year I've owned mine it's been a 2 door pickup, 2 door troop carrier, 2 door and 4 door helmet hard top (tall version) and currently a 2 door BEOD, with a lot of switching back and forth for events and such.

installing a hard top takes a lot of time and effort, so as has been said, if you want a slantback you are better off just buying a slantback and being done with it. Same goes for a regular hard roof.
Helmet hard top and soft tops are a lot easier to change around, and the BEOD or other shelters that bolt down into the back of the truck aren't all that hard to change around if you have access to lifting equipment (and I usually just use some straps, a couple of trees, and a couple of come-alongs and can have it switched between the BEOD and a 2 door troop carrier in 2 or 3 hours)

View attachment 822015
View attachment 822016
View attachment 822018
You gave me alot of clarification on the versatility of them, and what's doable with them swap out wise. I have a two post lift in my shop, so the lifting on and off would be very doable, lol, maybe the best option would be to buy a slantback and down the road a soft top or helmet top. Then my son's can drive one as well to our local event that happens every year. Thanks for the great advice and pictures.

papakb

The primary thing you need to consider when changing to a slant back is the windshield needs to be changed too because it has mounting brackets welded to it that secure the front of the slant back tops. Everything else is fairly straightforward.

I sure hope to see some of these trucks at Plymouth when and if we ever get a chance to hold another MV meet!

The primary thing you need to consider when changing to a slant back is the windshield needs to be changed too because it has mounting brackets welded to it that secure the front of the slant back tops. Everything else is fairly straightforward.

I sure hope to see some of these trucks at Plymouth when and if we ever get a chance to hold another MV meet!
That makes alot of sense with the windshield change. I am really hoping that by summer we can get back to the normal seasonal shows and events. This last summer I told my kids to pull out all of our show tractors, shine them up and park them in a row in our pasture and call that the annual tractor event.

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had a soft top and an Amtech lowrise hardtop. I have not had the slantback. The Amtech was pretty nice to have, but youre still going to have leaks around doors, heat reflection, good storage with the side cabinets, poor visibility without adding rear window. I have heard the same with slantbacks, poor visibility, heat and leaks. To each his own i guess. I have a nice soft top at the moment.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That makes alot of sense with the windshield change. I am really hoping that by summer we can get back to the normal seasonal shows and events. This last summer I told my kids to pull out all of our show tractors, shine them up and park them in a row in our pasture and call that the annual tractor event.
there are aftermarket bolt on hard top mounts, no need to replace the A-pillar unless your sticking to OEM.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks