• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Slave cable connector

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I think I nee to take apart a 2 pin slave cable connector for something. Anyone had a cable (not the recepticle) apart? Got pics?

ABN173

Sorry no pics Gimpy, but on a related note in OIF 1 I happened to be near the 1SG and he asked me to go over to the mechanics and get a slave cable from them to jump the CDR's vehicle off....this is where it gets not so funny Turns out the CDR liked to store is extra frag grenades in the battery compartment. It also turns out that the mechanics had "worked" on that set and reversed the polarity on one side so when I plugged it up it welded itself on and started a fire..........It was not until after I put the fire out that I found the Frags in there.......:-?

gimpyrobb

Yeah, I have modified lots of the nato style plugs and recepticles, and made custom 2 pin recepticles, just not ever had one of the plugs apart. There is a pic of a (2 pin plug)kit on Saturn Surplus's website, but it wasn't much help to me.

RIrvin

Does this help? The copper wire end connector was fabricated from copper pipe and a copper reducer coupling. I took one slave cable connector apart using my bench vice and a short pipe section to force the rubber compression bushing out of the back of the metal housing. Lubrication helps significantly.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

That is what I was looking for! Thank you very much. So if I wanted to take one apart that is already assembled, I lube the heck out of it and try to push it backward? I already have the "collar" off of the boot.

RIrvin

Yes sir that worked for me. Vise held metal housing and I just placed taped edge of pipe ,which fit inside housing , against front side of rubber bushing. You should be able to tap it out quickly. Take care to not damage the electrical pins/ wire ends /connectors. For assembly it seems best to fully seat the pins into the bushing then push that assembly ( be sure tapered end goes in first and check polarity) back into back of metal housing. Boot then slides on back ( previously slid onto wire) of the housing .

CGarbee

I pulled one apart a few years ago and it was tough... As said, you've got to use lube... RIrvin's method and tools sound almost exactly like mine. :)
A two pin slave plug end off a chewed up cable with new cable (lots of cable) and gator clamps on the opposite end makes a nice setup for when you want to jump something that has no slave plug.
Have fun.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks