• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Small fire in the 5 ton M923

BenRoberts

Certified insane
Decided I wanted to get the M923 out in the snow and knew she wouldn't start too good at 5 degrees outside but said I'll give it a try any how. Little did I know my battery ends loosened just enough that when the high amp draw hit it the terminal s melted in half and caught my seat on fire. Lesson learned here. I will ALWAYS check my battery ends before I crank. Funny thing is I checked them on the last drive and all was good. That's my dumb a$$ of the day story

Last edited by a moderator:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Decided I wanted to get the 923 out in the snow and knew she wouldn't start too good at 5 degrees outside but said I'll give it a try any how. Little did I know my battery ends loosened just enough that when the high amp draw hit it the terminal s melted in half and caught my seat on fire. Lesson learned here. I will ALWAYS check my battery ends before I crank. Funny thing is I checked them on the last drive and all was good. That's my dumb a$$ of the day story
Coat em in vaseline or some other conductor. Posts and the terminals. Also buy some of the fiberglass/rubber horse stable mats from Tractor Supply. Cut it so that it fits all over your batteries. It will deflect any sparks if a future issue happens. If you need to fix your battery post. If you need new terminal connectors. Only use the Grote military type. They are available on ebay last i checked and thru Truck pro. 5 pos and 5 neg terminals was $60.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndnJnfXkt9c

Last edited:

BenRoberts

Certified insane
Thanks fellas I will get a count on everything in the morning. It could have been a lot worse. Gave me a whole new respect for how many amps these draw especially cold.

sandcobra164

I've had the exact same thing happen before. My issue probably was not as bad because I had two old group 31 batteries installed and they must not have had enough juice to burn up the seat. Alot of smoke filled the cab, I jumped out and disconnected the negative cable under the passenger seat since the starter solenoid was still engaged even though I had switched both the ignition switch and battery switch off. Still, I melted the terminal so those batteries were done.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I have not yet. I have to get the batteries back up to par. And since it's too dark away from electrical hook up I'll have to change each battery off my pickup individual
Just get your small torch and metal a stick of lead down the gap where your old terminal is. It will last a long time. If you have that stuff laying around

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just get your small torch and metal a stick of lead down the gap where your old terminal is. It will last a long time. If you have that stuff laying around

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Battery gasses are highly explosive, o would never suggest putting an open flame near a battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are screw in repair terminals out there, any fix will be a compromise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
found this tip on the web and it makes sense to repair the post with this method...if the battery test ok with voltage and hold load.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/battery-terminal-repair.php

NAPA will carry the ends in Belden but the issue will be is it a jobber (indep) store with smaller inventory or a company owned store (usually much larger inventory). All can order within a day or two special orders typically.

big block 88

I would test the batts. The 6tl's ive had that melted terminals off were shot.

Are you POSITIVE the batteries were not contacting the seat base? Im seeing this on so many trucks lately its got me worried to the point i lifted my sear base by 1/2" and installed rubber over the terminals

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks