• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

smaller steering wheel

802dot1q

Subscribed. I've seen pictures of aftermarket steering wheels, but never anyone posting how they did it.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The shaft is splined.

Removal and installation is covered in TM 9-2320-260-20a.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know if this is a standard type of spline so that one could install a typical aftermarket steering wheel? The goal being a smaller one to avoid gutular interference..

plym49

Does anyone know if this is a standard type of spline so that one could install a typical aftermarket steering wheel? The goal being a smaller one to avoid gutular interference..
...gutular interference? You a doctor? ;)

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know for fact , but 1 of the deuces I looked at before the one I got had a smaller civy wheel in it . He said it came from a early S-Series International , the same spline. But I haven't looked any further into it and with International it could only be certain years the way they change things .

indy4x4fab

Banned
The puller I have makes all that fighting last about five mins or less.

Also seen air hammers used to remove them, too. Something to keep in mind hear all that beating on the shaft he's also beating on the steering box as well which means slop in the steering system or possibly having to replace the hole steering box and shaft, cause they are one piece not two separate pieces.

Last edited:

lost in the bush

I know.. He just likes big hammers and power tools. Doesn't really know what to do with them, he simply likes to have them. He has a Metal Brake and something else sitting just outside is back door still in the crates. Plus his new welder is in the box in his office.

In fairness to him he is pretty busy keeping their websites profitable and still helping with our company. He is semi-retired, I think last time I checked he is down to working 60 hours per week.

indy4x4fab

Banned
I know.. He just likes big hammers and power tools. Doesn't really know what to do with them, he simply likes to have them. He has a Metal Brake and something else sitting just outside is back door still in the crates. Plus his new welder is in the box in his office.

In fairness to him he is pretty busy keeping their websites profitable and still helping with our company. He is semi-retired, I think last time I checked he is down to working 60 hours per week.
Yep that sounds about right for a simi-retired fellow like us.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
the spline is 36, the minor dia is 7/8", it is a straight spline, no taper but is is a tight fit hence the puller. i have always been able to just 'pull' them off with a little wiggling.
i have new 18" wheels and have 'heard' of a 15" wheel but it has been elusive to track down.

tom

Danl

Danl M915A1

I have the same Gut thing with my 915 To much Bear on my off time plus haveing two sons comeing around with beardon't help, beside the gut thing My Hand gets tied up in the window Knob, there is little space between the wheel and the knob, the wheel is jest to big, is the duce wheel smaller than the 915 and is the spline the same, I to would like to change my ster wheelaua

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Steering wheel and horn (5t)

While we are talking steering wheel removal, has anyone replaced the horn button - 5 ton is not the same as a deuce (bought one, tried it, didn't fit, sold it)? My truck is missing everything from the button to the pickup down in the engine bay - I have a rectangular hole in the steering column and a loose wire on the bulkhead!
I don't have the gut thing, but I do have a terradactyl wingspan and high atmosphere knees so a smaller wheel would be good. Subscribed. :p

Danl

Danl M915A1

While we are talking steering wheel removal, has anyone replaced the horn button - 5 ton is not the same as a deuce (bought one, tried it, didn't fit, sold it)? My truck is missing everything from the button to the pickup down in the engine bay - I have a rectangular hole in the steering column and a loose wire on the bulkhead!
I don't have the gut thing, but I do have a terradactyl wingspan and high atmosphere knees so a smaller wheel would be good. Subscribed. :p
on My 5 ton the horn is a chain on the left side over head, opperated by compress air works jest fine , Trust me there is no gut thing up there. Tank God. I would put up with the hole in the center of the wheel if a smaller wheel would fit. I'm sure That I could fill the hole with something Crafty in time.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter

When I replaced my wheel with an M35A3 steering wheel (Steering Wheel for M35A3 / M54A2 / M809 / M939, RCSK17043, 81514B1, 79210, 3G6121, 11601248, 69-657), I replaced the horn button, wire and contact. The small button kits (Horn Button Switch Kit (new style) For M35A2/M35A3/M809 etc, 11677308) are easy to find and the rectangular box with connector at he steering column base is also available on eBay (PM me if you need further info). As for the contact, I had to search for a suitable replacement. This is what I found... Horn Repair Parts - Steering Column Horn Contact Brush <br>Fits 41-49 MB, GPW, CJ-2A Has worked fine so far. If you are going to replace the wire, you have to pull the column completely out of the truck.
Mind you, this is for an M809 5-ton. I don't know if this works for the gasser/multi-fueler set up as I believe it is all completely different.

Last edited:

m816

All this talk of putting a smaller steering wheel on the five tons and deuces, What a difference forty years makes. I had to change my old standatd five ton wheel with one from a 800 series because of the above mentioned guteral interference. I haven't heard so may medical terms since my last visit to the VA. I missed my cruise contol so much, I put on some more weight and girth so I can drive " no hands again":driver:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks