• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Smoking pretty badly on the driver's side, and blowby.

Loco_Hosa

So, I took my M1009 on a few trips this year and had a blast but the smoke has really taken some fun out of things. It only smokes on the driver's side, but it's pretty bad and parking too close to human people who enjoy breathing is ”rude.”

I had been told it was likely a bad injector, but when I got my laser thermometer out and checked 3 cylinders were much hotter than the other 5. So, hard to tell which injector was likely to be bad.

The truck has blowby. Kind of a lot. I don't want to put a ton of money into what might be a mostly dead engine. Looks like injectors are $200+ for all 8.

What are your thoughts? Get some crush washers and swap all the injectors to the other side and see if the problem changes sides? Compression test? [Not exactly sure how that works on this] I've seen people talk about timing on these contribute to smoke, but I'd expect that to be on both sides.

Chaski

New or rebuilt injectors can be used in a new engine if you have to go down that path.

You can have the injectors tested at an injection shop, but honestly rebuilt ones are so cheap that you may just want to forgo that and swap them out.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Blowby means engine is shot. Nothing to do with injection. I had a 6.2 that smoked on one side as well and that engine went to scrap.

cucvrus

If you have smoke and blowby I would say you have a cracked head or better and easier a blown head gasket. I had my Mule M1009 with a bad head gasket and ran it for years. 1 day in the winter it started smoking and steaming out of one pipe and that meant it was time to do the repairs. I pulled the engine and sent the heads to the machine shop. I changed the head gaskets and head bolts and it ran like a new truck again. I did a lot more things to the truck while I had the engine out. Good Luck. I would say it could be repaired. I have a few 6.2 good engines but I would change the head gaskets on any engine I was going to install before I took the time to install it. Happy New Year.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks