• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Smooth, quiet running deuce - why?

DavidWymore

Hung out with a deuce buddy today. He has a '90 Toole rebuild with D Turbo that runs really smooth and quiet. Way more so than his '87 D Turbo (needs valves adjusted), my '70 LDT w/ C turbo and fuel turned up, valves adjusted, my '62 LDS w/ big turbo and valves adjusted, or my beater '66 LD. I wonder if it's injector style or condition, timing or what.

Only other thing is it has undercoating on the firewall...but the whole truck feels much smoother at idle too and the exhaust doesn't bark sharply when you blip the throttle like all the others. Fuel just turned down maybe? Haven't had it on the road yet ot see what power feels like.

Another thing...on my '70, if I have the RPM up, whether I blip it or decelerating, the RPMs drop a little below set idle RPM for a split sec and then come back up.

plym49

DavidWymore;1930410 Another thing...on my '70 said:
You Deuce is dangerously out of spec and you should get rid of it. You can ship it to me so that I can dispense properly.

:)

dmetalmiki

These trucks each and all have a 'character' of their own. our three all run and perform differently. All have the 'C' turbos on.
Posting new video of my Favorite right now.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My wife (!) commented that ever since I put the LDS into my truck she cannot hear me leave home or come back. With the previous LDT, that was no problem - you could hear the truck with windows closed. D-turbo on both. I choose to believe the character explanation, although the truth probably involves injection timing and other more pedestrian mechanical things.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It does 80 km/H (50 mph) at just under 2000 rpm. Governed at 2500 rpm and it runs way faster that I ever want to go at that rpm (well North of 60 mph).

rustystud

I'd like to run 60 at not more than 2250 or so. Lots of long, flat, straight, open roads here.
Boy your not kidding about the roads there David ! Almost every time I have traveled down there I fall asleep driving ! I have gone to Barstow four times now. Nothing but endless straight long roads with nothing to look at but arid land !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks