• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Snowed In - Running on MEP003A

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, we're snowed in again in North Georgia and running on our MEP003A. Third time so far this year I've had to run the whole house on the MEP, but only the first time for snow. I'm sure my M35A3 could make it out of here, but the rest of my vehicles are snowbound. The snow is still falling heavily. Fortunately, the temperature is only 24 deg F. so it isn't that cold.M35A3 2-8-20 #2.JPG

rickf

Since when is NJ North? When we have that little snow we start thinking about opening the pool!!
You got me there, kind of. It gets pretty darn cold here and we have had our fair share of snow up til the last couple years. We don't consider it snowed in until about 18" or more. Well, the older generation anyway. the younger crowd are snowed in with the first few flakes.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Um,................... that's about two inches of snow? Snowed in? Ok, Forgot, you are in Georgia.:LOL:

Sorry, but to a northern guy that was just too hard to resist.;)
Not two inches, about 7 inches total. The photo is misleading. We're located in the Blue Ridge Mountains in North Georgia and some very steep roads. I'm on 40 acres about a mile from the nearest paved road and surrounded by National Forest. EMC power is now back on.

Last edited:

rickf

Just busting on you, don't generally think of Georgia and snow together. I am kind of familiar with that area, I through hiked the Appalachian trail both ways back in the 70's. I got to see some pretty cold weather there on the north/south trip since it was very late in the season when I hit Georgia.

D6T

I had a similar reaction some of the above when I opened this thread...we received just shy of two feet of snow yesterday here, it’s about five below zero now, and life continues completely normal and uninterrupted. Only thing unusual was one local restaurant closing for lunch yesterday.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just busting on you, don't generally think of Georgia and snow together. I am kind of familiar with that area, I through hiked the Appalachian trail both ways back in the 70's. I got to see some pretty cold weather there on the north/south trip since it was very late in the season when I hit Georgia.
I'm actually just a few miles from the Appalachian Trail. I'm jealous - I've always wanted to through hike the trail and plan to someday, south to north.

cbisson

Not two inches, about 7 inches total. The photo is misleading. We're located in the Blue Ridge Mountains in North Georgia and some very steep roads. I'm on 40 acres about a mile from the nearest paved road and surrounded by National Forest. EMC power is now back on.
40 acres a mile in....that sounds just about perfect!

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We lost power from the wind last Friday. Stayed out almost 24 hours. Between the MEP832, MEP803, and solar/battery setup we were well taken care of.

Triple Jim

We lost power from the wind last Friday. Stayed out almost 24 hours. Between the MEP832, MEP803, and solar/battery setup we were well taken care of.
Same here, except they managed to get the power restored in a couple hours. The 003A did its job as usual. Sorry your power was off that long, but from what I saw of the Duke Energy outage map, you weren't alone.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a typical length of time. We aren't in a high priority area. I'm OK with that.

For sure lots of people were in the same boat. The winds were howling. Normally trees blow into power lines out this way but this time the winds blew over the power poles themselves. The ground was really soft from all the rain.

As expected the generators did a great job. I wouldn't have needed the MEP803 except I had to finish drying a load of clothes. :D

Guyfang

Staff member
i was in Atlanta once when it snowed just a little and a slight ice also. BOY! everything was all screwed up.

HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Try EL Paso!! The snow was almost a 1/4 mm thick. It looked like every car in a 5000 mile radius was DOA. Everyone standing there looking like thair dog died. I had just two days before bought a 4WD truck, with (this was my secret weapon) BRAND NEW TIRES!! Yes sir, new tires. No one there changes a tire because the tread gets worn. Heck no. Ride on that baby till the threads blow out. Every street was plugged up. No traffic moving at all. I drove off the road and followed the train tracks to Ft. Bliss.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks