• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So I bought a M1070, now maybe I should learn something about them.

Worldsworstfish

So kind of a spur of the moment thing I ended up with a M1070.

The plan is to make it into a water tender for fire fighting. I really don’t know anything about these trucks except they are slow. I found this forum and thought I may be able to get some help.

I have no use for the winch. So is it worth selling? If so who would want it? Whereto advertise and what is it worth. Or should I just unbolt it and
hand it over to the scrap yard.

Same questions for the fifth wheel and ramp.

Want to do some pre planning and rough ensigns for the tank. So any idea what the winch and the fifth wheel and slide weigh?

Also does anyone have a resource about the hydraulic system, like a schematic, pressures, any information or links would be appreciated.

I apologize if any of these questions have been asked or answered elsewhere in the forums. I have spent a couple days looking and not really finding anything.

Thanks for any help.

INFChief

So kind of a spur of the moment thing I ended up with a M1070.

The plan is to make it into a water tender for fire fighting. I really don’t know anything about these trucks except they are slow. I found this forum and thought I may be able to get some help.

I have no use for the winch. So is it worth selling? If so who would want it? Whereto advertise and what is it worth. Or should I just unbolt it and
hand it over to the scrap yard.

Same questions for the fifth wheel and ramp.

Want to do some pre planning and rough ensigns for the tank. So any idea what the winch and the fifth wheel and slide weigh?

Also does anyone have a resource about the hydraulic system, like a schematic, pressures, any information or links would be appreciated.

I apologize if any of these questions have been asked or answered elsewhere in the forums. I have spent a couple days looking and not really finding anything.

Thanks for any help.
Frankly, I would leave the winch in place and make it operational. It could be a huge help for you or someone else if you get in to a tight spot.

The other stuff certainly has value, as does the winch. The trick is to find the guy that needs them. By no means would I scrap any of it. Tuck it away and bide your time while you advertise.
I wouldn’t say these are slow; no, they won’t win any land speed records but they’ll pull the snot out of a 72 ton M1A2 tank or a M106 Paladin Howitzer. I have to believe it will reach a Highway speed of 50 to 55 but I wouldn’t bet any money since I’m not certain.
The Technical Manual series should have some hydraulic schematics in it - but take what I say with a grain of salt; I’ve been known to tell fibs.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These are 45 mph trucks. Just relax and enjoy the scenery, maybe some babe will flash you. The DP winches are sought after, they are marketable on CommercialTruckTrader etc. The winch platform, fifth wheel and ramps can go to scrap.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Frankly, I would leave the winch in place and make it operational. It could be a huge help for you or someone else if you get in to a tight spot.

The other stuff certainly has value, as does the winch. The trick is to find the guy that needs them. By no means would I scrap any of it. Tuck it away and bide your time while you advertise.
I wouldn’t say these are slow; no, they won’t win any land speed records but they’ll pull the snot out of a 72 ton M1A2 tank or a M106 Paladin Howitzer. I have to believe it will reach a Highway speed of 50 to 55 but I wouldn’t bet any money since I’m not certain.
The Technical Manual series should have some hydraulic schematics in it - but take what I say with a grain of salt; I’ve been known to tell fibs.
How are going to use a winch with a giant tank right behind it?

They only go 48.

Worldsworstfish

Thanks for the reply.

45 is fine with me, never in a hurry anymore. You have a starting point for pricing the winch? Even ballpark 5k, 10k 15k 20k. I really have no idea.

As for the flasher can’t really put a value on that at my age so priceless. Lol

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Hydraulic wise you are kinda screwed cause the 3 stage pump is run off a shaft from the PTO and it is mounted to the bottom of the winch platform.

Even more fun is shoving a large enough pump that will even fit on the pto between the transmission and the frame.

You can always use the Transfer case and delete the auxiliary steering system and just put your pump right on the case.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thanks for the reply.

45 is fine with me, never in a hurry anymore. You have a starting point for pricing the winch? Even ballpark 5k, 10k 15k 20k. I really have no idea.

As for the flasher can’t really put a value on that at my age so priceless. Lol
They are listed for 10k as a whole platform with winches. They never sell. They aren't that desirable. The free spool is nice but the buyers are few and far between.

The payout cable winch is worth about 3k by itself though.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
How do you think that broke tank got up on the trailer? And that winch can be used for self-recovery.
They are going to use it as a water tender. So it'll have a water tank the back of the truck it's usually 6500 gallons. The winches will be blocked.

You also can't use those winches but in cross X pull together or or straight on. Otherwise they walk over the side of the drum and the cables get hung and pinched

And NO they can't be used for self recovery on the M1070A0s unless you modify the brake switch behind the dash. The PTO does not have any power when the parking brakes are released from the factory. The rear brakes remained locked when the PTO is running so they just bulldoze when you try to pull yourself out.

Attachments

Worldsworstfish

Hydraulic wise you are kinda screwed cause the 3 stage pump is run off a shaft from the PTO and it is mounted to the bottom of the winch platform.

Even more fun is shoving a large enough pump that will even fit on the pto between the transmission and the frame.

You can always use the Transfer case and delete the auxiliary steering system and just put your pump right on the case.
So if I am interpreting this correctly the hydraulic pump is above the frame rails? Not planning a pto pump. Two ways to go with pump. Either a hydraulic driven pump or I will place a motor driven pump on the platform right behind the “sleeper”. Other option is to modify the tank shape so that the hydraulic pump can be used. Appreciate the comments. Truck is in Nevada so I won’t have time to go get it for a month or so but trying to get some ideas.

Worldsworstfish

They are listed for 10k as a whole platform with winches. They never sell. They aren't that desirable. The free spool is nice but the buyers are few and far between.

The payout cable winch is worth about 3k by itself though.
Forgive my ignorance but the payout cable winch is the one that pulls the big winch cable out? So would you say 5k for the big winch and 3k for the payout would get rid of them? When I sell something I like to price it to sell, I don’t like spending a bunch of time with that.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
So if I am interpreting this correctly the hydraulic pump is above the frame rails? Not planning a pto pump. Two ways to go with pump. Either a hydraulic driven pump or I will place a motor driven pump on the platform right behind the “sleeper”. Other option is to modify the tank shape so that the hydraulic pump can be used. Appreciate the comments. Truck is in Nevada so I won’t have time to go get it for a month or so but trying to get some ideas.
The hydraulic pump is right below the hydraulic tank and the access grate in the floor of the platform..it's about 34inches long and has 3 inlets and 3 outlets. It weighs around 170lbs. 2 bolts on the front and one bolt at the rear.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Forgive my ignorance but the payout cable winch is the one that pulls the big winch cable out? So would you say 5k for the big winch and 3k for the payout would get rid of them? When I sell something I like to price it to sell, I don’t like spending a bunch of time with that.
I would sell the payout winch seperate. Yes it's a 3000lb hydraulic winch. It's pretty handy. But they do bring big money.

Winches you may put 6k on the whole platform with both winches etc. And take the first 5.

Worldsworstfish

They are going to use it as a water tender. So it'll have a water tank the back of the truck it's usually 6500 gallons. The winches will be blocked.

You also can't use those winches but in cross X pull together or or straight on. Otherwise they walk over the side of the drum and the cables get hung and pinched

And NO they can't be used for self recovery on the M1070A0s unless you modify the brake switch behind the dash. The PTO does not have any power when the parking brakes are released from the factory. The rear brakes remained locked when the PTO is running so they just bulldoze when you try to pull yourself out.
What needs to be modified, assuming just some kind of interlock to bypass as I will need the pto to be active while moving if I go the hydraulic pump route.
These are the kind of things that someone that has never been around a piece of equipment will save days of troubleshooting and aggravation. Really appreciate it.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
What needs to be modified, assuming just some kind of interlock to bypass as I will need the pto to be active while moving if I go the hydraulic pump route.
These are the kind of things that someone that has never been around a piece of equipment will save days of troubleshooting and aggravation. Really appreciate it.

INFChief

Those main winches have a 55,000 pound single line pull - each. If my days as a recovery vehicle operator aren’t too fuzzy that means With a 2:1 block & tackle (minus friction, etc) each winch can pull approximately 110,000 pounds each for a total of 220,000.

If both winches work as they should, and if you include as much of the parts that go with each winch, I would not sell those winches for less than $7,000 each - unless you are feeling extremely generous.

I suggest investing some time searching for owner groups or a business (heavy equipment transport companies) and showcasing your winches. I can tell you that the Army often contracts out for independent operators to haul M1’s & other BIG stuff from main post to training areas. Fort Carson and Pinion Canyon Maneuver Site in Colorado is one example.
That payout winch has a couple uses but it is primarily used to pull that big main cable to & back from what’s being loaded. At a 2:1 advantage that winch cable pull in 5 tons. Consider 3 or 4:1 advantage….

If it were ME, I would try to sell them as a set with a starting price of around $18,000 to $20,000. You can always go down in price later if you need to. Think about what that amount of money could fund for your project!

INFChief

You would benefit from the truck more as a tender/tractor. Mount you a 2500gal tank on it between the cab and the 3rd axle. Then mount you a 5th wheel in the middle of axle 3/4 to pull the 5000 or 7500gal HEIL tanker.
That’s a good idea & something to consider. I wonder if they need a different pump on the trailer - suck, deliver, transfer? The tank on the truck doesn’t necessarily need a pump but if it could fill itself & pump wouldn’t that be even better? Unless, of course that’s what you implied.
And, if f it had a water manifold with nozzles up front it could, potentially, be used to clear a path closer to the fire or a path closer to a water source closer to the fire.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
That’s a good idea & something to consider. I wonder if they need a different pump on the trailer - suck, deliver, transfer? The tank on the truck doesn’t necessarily need a pump but if it could fill itself & pump wouldn’t that be even better? Unless, of course that’s what you implied.
And, if f it had a water manifold with nozzles up front it could, potentially, be used to clear a path closer to the fire or a path closer to a water source closer to the fire.
You would just use a frame level connector hose on scene and the truck and trailer tank would share their capacity so only one pump is needed.

They would use a gas powered pump on the trailer anyway. Most do.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks