• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So if you were going to get a parts truck and . . .

M1165A1

This isn't a hypothetical.

So let's say you were going to buy a parts truck and cannibalize it for hard-to-get spares. Currently I am thinking that I may do just that. And let's say your driving truck is a late model ECV/REV B.

Assuming you didn't have space to store the truck more than short term - what would you take off for yourself and what would you sell? Balance of time/effort to harvest your parts vs. sell the others is important. It's easier just to source common parts later than hold on to them.

I'm thinking two essentials to keep are the Sheppard steering setup and the fan clutch.

Other suggestions?

Reactions: OBX

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter

So let's say you were going to buy a parts truck and cannibalize it for hard-to-get spares. Currently I am thinking that I may do just that. And let's say your driving truck is a late model ECV/REV B.

Assuming you didn't have space to store the truck more than short term - what would you take off for yourself and what would you sell? Balance of time/effort to harvest your parts vs. sell the others is important. It's easier just to source common parts later than hold on to them.

I'm thinking two essentials to keep are the Sheppard steering setup and the fan clutch.

Other suggestions?
I've already gone thru the whole process. Seats, seat bases, floor mats, gauges, tachometer, tailgate, any assorted wiring you need. It's all up to what comes on the parts truck you buy.

royg

you're right about the steering box and gear drive fan: those are unobtanium.

The hood/grill/cooling stack for the ECV is obviously different then the majority of HMMWVs out there. I don't think there is an aftermarket radiator of the ecv size so that might something to keep. But some like that ECV look, maybe you can sell the whole front as package for what you paid for truck.

It's an impossible question. You'll likely need a start box, injection pump, alternator, or starter sooner or latter on your keeper truck. Each of those could cost you $1000 when you're in need...

Gamble

It's a compelling question. One must still evaluate the true cost. Let's say you get lucky and get a parts truck for 3k. After taxes and fees what's that? $4500? Yep about that. Then there is transportation. From Yermo or Albany to wherever you live. For some of us that's quite a distance. Also, if you got a truck for 3k, it likely has no wheels or tires or missing wheels and tires. So whoever is towing has to have a method to get it on the truck. Plus, offload it at your destination, again with no wheels. Also, how will the neighbors feel about your parts truck sitting on the curb or in driveway if you don't have a garage with space. These are all considerations I have taken into account. It may be cheaper in the long run to just buy the parts.

Just my .02.

Reactions: NDT

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check prices on classified forum and EBay for your answers.

alternator/generator. Hubs, engine.Tranny,transfer case. Diffs. Doors. Hatch. Dash and gauges. Turn selector. Wiring harnesses. Willwood brake system. Geared fan system.

Last edited:

Gamble

Check prices on classified forum and EBay for your answers.

alternator/generator. Hubs, engine.Tranny,transfer case. Diffs. Doors. Hatch. Dash and gauges. Turn selector. Wiring harnesses. Willwood brake system. Geared fan system.
True. However, its likely not all of those parts will be on a 3k parts truck. Those 'HRVST' trucks have alot of parts yanked off already, especially the Smart Start Box, alternator/generator, TCase, Doors are never ever on, Dash and Guages. The engine and/or tranny is likely shot which is why it was set to 'HRVST' in the first place. Again just my .02.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gamble... Smart boxes are not smart AND I posted a long time ago (with the help of others) how I bypassed mine. They are no longer valuable or necessary. IMHO

OP asked for a list of parts and I gave him one.

You are correct. When we purchase trucks, especially parts truck that don't run, its a crap shoot whatever might be in there.

Essentially its a "GAMBLE" ;)

M1165A1

Gamble... Smart boxes are not smart AND I posted a long time ago (with the help of others) how I bypassed mine. They are no longer valuable or necessary. IMHO

You are correct. When we purchase trucks, especially parts truck that don't run, its a crap shoot whatever might be in there.

Oh definitely. Anything coming out of Yermo or Albany is a gamble.

tgejesse

No gamble if you buy a camoteksystems box. Four aces, great hand! Always a winner.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just won one at auction. It's pretty banged up but I was in the market for a transmission. I got a few items as a bonus that I'll be adding to mine. Feeling a little like a Borg. Will also get one of the wheels w/tire to use as a spare.

If I had a big place to store parts and lots of spare cash I would dismantle and store probably everything that was in good working order. However, I'm short on both space and money and plan to sell items that I believe will move fast or that people want when I post that I'm parting a HMMWV out.

Your timeline is up to you. Currently space is at a premium for me.

Reactions: OBX
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks