• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So....what do you guys exactly do with these trucks???

BrassBuilder

I've been in the military for 20 some years. I've driven my share of 2.5 and 5 ton trucks across the country and I cannot imagine why anyone would want or need one of these. The end usage does not seem to get discussed much.

I did a couple of roof projects last year and having a dump truck would have been nice (military or civilian). But that was a one time deal. Not a lot of use otherwise for me... I see some guys build campers out of these. That's cool. I'm not sure what the convenience factor would be driving a MV like this across the country at 50 mph would be though.

From what I've read here, some trucks are used to bring more trucks home (and then???) The above mentioned campers....looks like some guys use them for delivery vehicles...but that is about all I've seen.

I'm not knocking anyone for buying these trucks. I actually have some fond memories of the time I spent going across the plains of South Dakota (and further) in M35A2s and various 5 ton trucks. I'm just wondering what you actually do with them once you have them.

Heck...I wouldn't even mind having some sort of 6x6 with a huge plow on it about right now. It would sure beat using my 3/4t Ford with the 9' plow for one lot that I currently do.

Just curious....

Mike

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, since I don't play golf, and I don't hunt(but I do fish) I needed something to spend money on. Plus, it pisses the wife off, but at least she knows where I am at.

I don't know why I own the Long Easy(M814). It's cool to drive, gets a ton of looks when I do drive it, and I have used it to haul off trash, and bring firewood home. I guess the best thing is that it owning it has made me some new friends, and I have gotten to see some things that not many people get to see anymore.:mrgreen:

kawkev

Well for me, its an interest in military vehicles. I enjoy driving my deuce and tinkering with it. I'm physically not able to spend hours riding my motorcycles anymore and the deuce gave me something to "play" with. I don't hunt or fish and I'm not into sports. I also can't race anymore so it fills my desire to have something to work on and improve. I also enjoy meeting with like minded people and swapping parts and stories. I guess you could boil it down, for me, as a hobby. It keeps me busy and for me, it's fun.

Just my 2cents

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Mike.
I just like them. They come in handy all the time, you find uses for them. lol.

My wife converted a M109 into a camper, we take it all over, and with it being multi, the fuel is free! Also the cool factor is there. Someone can pull into the campground with a brand new class A worth 130k, but everyone will come down to ask about the $4000 deuce!

I used my XM818 and M915 to haul commercially for a few years, haven't done much lately. I was hauling waste vegitable oil, among other things.

I use my trucks to recover trucks off Fort Jackson and Eastover for other Steel Soldiers members, and keep them at my house until they can come get them, or I even sometimes deliver them.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...-ton-tractor&p=1270752&viewfull=1#post1270752

Ditto on what the other guys said, they have allowed me to meet a wonderful bunch of people, some of whom I'm lucky enough to call my friends.

Last edited:

phil2968

Well, since I don't play golf, and I don't hunt(but I do fish) I needed something to spend money on. Plus, it pisses the wife off, but at least she knows where I am at.

I don't know why I own the Long Easy(M814). It's cool to drive, gets a ton of looks when I do drive it, and I have used it to haul off trash, and bring firewood home. I guess the best thing is that it owning it has made me some new friends, and I have gotten to see some things that not many people get to see anymore.:mrgreen:
John, you forgot "haul a generator around for a few years". I have mine because the folks that own them are the best people in the world.

gunboy1656

I wanted mine, cause I liked them from the time I was a kid. My truck is a Veteran hauler.

Every parade the Vietnam Vets want me to be in, I go. Anyone who wants to ride that cant walk the route they hop in the truck and off we go.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
John, you forgot "haul a generator around for a few years".
Phil, I've offered to pluck it out with the wrecker for a year now...

I guess if an emergancy arises, and we need to power an office building or part of a hospital, he want's to be ready!

Actually he just doesn't want to move it more than once. I would think someone would have wanted a really nice low hour 35kw auto start generator for cheap by now, but nooooooo.....

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well it's like I tell everyone that asks me why I have them.

You don't need toilet paper either. But it sure is nice to have!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
There are many threads covering the "what do you do with these?" question-can one of you more experienced members do a search and provide some links?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have mine so people will start new threads asking what I do with them. Clinto is correct.

Triple C

Welcome to the site and be careful you just might catch the fever. It's a great question too. I bought mine for three reasons. The first is, I just like big trucks. I also own a 1979 Pete and believe it or not, the source of parts for military vehicles is much better than most other trucks of the same age. The second is to get to town when we get a big snow. With my job, I REALLY need to get to town when it's time to work. Two years ago, there were two days when I couldn't get to town because the snow was blowing in the cut banks resulting in three and four foot snow drifts while the roads in town were clear. I figured if I bought a military truck it wouldn't snow any more and so far it has worked! Third, I was going to use it to haul firewood but I didn't do my homework before hand, (like joining this site, or even looking at one in person!) and have found the height of the bed to be rather unreasonable for a guy my age to be loading a cord or two of wood in so I haven't used it for that.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I had a penny for every time I was asked "what do you do with it?" I'd have about enough to order lunch from the dollar menu!

That's still a bunch of times I've been asked!

There are many threads covering the "what do you do with these?" question-can one of you more experienced members do a search and provide some links?
Hey,,, aren't you one of the 'morer experienced members?'
I'm tired of searching for other people... :burn:

Last edited:

Vondy

Some people drive classic cars around on Sundays just to get out and enjoy the road. Some of us drive around looking to enjoy more off the road. My two boys love my truck just as much as I do and never miss a chance to ride with me. Hopefully that lasts a while, they grow up too quick these days. Right now they are 9 and 4 so I hope I have a while.

59apache

Chipmaker
I had to buy one. It wasn't my fault. When i was a kid, one of last real big maneuvers was in my area. For weeks trucks , jeeps an tanks passing our house. It was early child imprinting.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Better question and easier to answer is "Why Not"? Pound for pound there is no better value out there. There is something appealing about a truck that when it was designed, the absolute last consideration was driver comfort. Cheap to insure, easy to feed and can really be useful in a pinch. Many are cheaper than a good set of golf clubs. Why do folks play golf?

MarcM35A2

Just playing. And trying to keep them in original running condition! Loved these trucks since I was a kid. Once, in the late 80´s (when I was around 12 years old) the US soldiers had a checkpoint near my house. That was a big thing for us kids. We walked over there and spent a lot of tims at the US Checkpoint. And there were a lot of trucks and tanks.... and that´s how it all starts. I got older and some day I decided to buy my onw truck. And meanwhile I have 2 trucks and 2 trailers............

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
IMG_2873.jpgMy first Army enlistment was from 72-76....the last two years were in Germany where I put over 50K miles on deuces driving for the Mess Hall and Supply Room. Sometimes I was on the road six days a week. This was during my "better living through chemicals" phase and owning deuces and other MV's helps me relive the days of my misspent youth.
Now I'm too old for booze and hookers so MV's keep me off the streets and allow me to hang out with my "friends in lower places" that also have the dreaded "Green Iron Fever".
Here is a pic of the latest "object of my affliction".

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks