• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Soft steel brake lines for a Deuce

rlp094

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi all, had a harrowing experience on my way to the Basilone Parade in Raritan NJ in my deuce. Was traveling on Route 22 and came to a yellow light. Applied the brakes and suddenly the pedal went to the floor! Went right through a red light and traveled another 1/8 of a mile down shifting before reaching a hilly parking lot before stopping. Luckily thank God nobody was in the way! Parking brake did nothing. Went to the parade with a friend in his deuce and he later towed me home after getting his 923A1. Inspection found a blown steel brake line behind the air tanks. Went to get a replacement for the 97" line at the local auto parts store as could not find any NOS lines anywhere. The replacement is much softer and easy to than the original. Okay my question is the replacement strong enough to use in a Heavy truck like this, and where can I find one if not? Irony is I just replaced the master cylinder and air over tank along
new shoes and wheel cylinders.

TGP (IL)

If it's replacement "Rated" brake line it is fine.

What your most likely seeing is it's the newer nickel alloy lines
That are much easier to bend and form.
It also does last a little longer against corrosion than traditional steel lines.

Tom

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it was rustystud who posted about the "CuNiFer" lines. I have used them now as well, learning to do the inverted flare, and they are indeed a pleasure to work with. Absolutely fine for our trucks.
AFAIK there is no "low pressure rated" brake line. Either it is brake line or it isn't. Others may chime in.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

rustystud

I think it was rustystud who posted about the "CuNiFer" lines. I have used them now as well, learning to do the inverted flare, and they are indeed a pleasure to work with. Absolutely fine for our trucks.
AFAIK there is no "low pressure rated" brake line. Either it is brake line or it isn't. Others may chime in.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
I posted about them, but it was "Peashooter" who originally was selling them in his brake kits.

rustystud

Is stainless approved brake lines by DOT for trucks? I convert all my vehicles to stainless so if I had that issue I would go stainless if it is allowed.
Yes stainless steel is allowed but it is very hard to work with unlike the "Cunifer" lines. I used stainless steel lines in my 1984 CUCV and it's been working fine these last 23 years.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks