• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Soft top repair

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone sewed a soft top by themselves? I have a newer camo soft top that pulled apart from the plastic piece that slides above the windshields. I took it to a place that can stitch heavy material but they said their machine would probably crack the plastic. I almost think it is going to have to be done by hand using the existing holes. Just wondering if it needs any special type of thread or anything else I need to know about trying it.

rgregj

Tie,
I had the same problem with my soft top, but the hard plastic channel that rides in the windshield frame was trashed too. One of the guys on SS had removed the hard plastic completey and used a piece of rope and an adhesive called pliobond and made an envelope for the rope and glued it together. Anyway, I did the same for mine. That was two years ago and it still works fine. If you do a search for "pliobond" on the site you should get a couple of hits. If you need it, I can get some pictures of my set up.

Greg

Barrman

Pliobond, non waxed dental floss, 8 needles, 1 pair of gloves and 2 pair of pliers is what I used to sew my top back onto the plastic thing at the front. took about 4 hours and has lasted since October.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I used my industrial sewing machine to re-stich the plastic channel back on. I used the pliobond to adhere it prior.

combat32

The real question is what is a good substitute for the plastic channel? I have a good spare top with no channel left, I know I can stitch it back together just need a replacement channel.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My Dad sewed one back together again, I'll ask him what he did. I know he sealed it all after he was done with something...

Still on the truck as far as I know.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks