• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Solid State Ignition Kit?

Capt.Marion

I just put a solid-state ignition kit (uses a magnet actuated device vs. mechanical points that wear out) on my '50 8N tractor (same engine as in GPWs) and it runs a lot smoother, cranks quicker, and has more torque.

if I were to think of putting one on my M37B1, would anything prevent that from working (assuming I get the correct version)?

Just curious, as it may be something I'd do to improve it as a daily driver...

Jones

Are you going to try to keep the waterproof distributor or go to a standard automotive style? Maybe something out a six; Ford or Dodge would be a place to start. You might have to put the upper shaft from the electronic distributer on top of the drive shaft portion from your M37. Machining everything would be a easy project with access to a lathe and mill. I don't remember if the Dodge slant sixes were electronic or not but if so I bet they'd be pretty close to dropping in as both drive off of the oil pump. Remember too that most distributors and electronic control modules you find will be 12volt so a step-down from 24volt is also in order.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks