• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Some DUKW's go south for the Summer

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I rode with Ferro today on the first leg of a DUKW's southward journey, today going from Jacksonville, NC to Hopkins, SC. Only the cognizetti know it's final destination, but I have been assured it will spend most of the rest of it's life on soft, white sand, and will be driven by a 'squid' in future parades. It was a fun day, but now it's late and I'm tired, so I'll leave you with a picture.

Attachments

FrankUSMC

I drove that DUKW back in 1988, the owner was a Marine, and a very good friend . The DUKW was named the "Dunkin Duck" because the owner at one time owned the Dunkin Donuts in Jacksonville, NC. If you look closely at the bow, you will see the remains of a sharks mouth that was painted on it years ago back in the 1980s.
For you movie buffs, this was the DUKW that was used in the movie "Revenge of the Nerds".
Hope it is going to a good home.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Guess the GREAT MR. C, Is NOT going to be a new cracker owner.
Ha!

I strongly considered it when I saw it. The cost of transport, logistical difficulties and who knows what was missing and the corrosion scared me off. Although I realize no 70+ year old amphibious truck is going to be rust free, I felt like this one was past where I wanted to begin.

The lack of covered storage made me feel like it was a bad idea as well. A DUKW is a significant enough vehicle that it needs to be indoors.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Clint, all I will say, is you have to start somewhere. I totally understand your point a well though. For a purist this truck needs tons of fab work for the lower hull. Mechanically she seems pretty solid and what I know of DUKWs almost all complete and functioning right now.

Here is a video. Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/JrHZ-thhBbg

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Clint, all I will say, is you have to start somewhere. I totally understand your point a well though. For a purist this truck needs tons of fab work for the lower hull. Mechanically she seems pretty solid and what I know of DUKWs almost all complete and functioning right now.

I'm sure there was a HUGE price difference but just think...you could have started with something like THIS::cookoo:

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, since it already needs so much metal work, why not bob it, put 395s and a multifuel sol that you can run WMO as fuel? That would make it a great daily driver! (Satire for those who don't know me)

FloridaAKM

The only one of those I have ever seen is @ Camp Blanding in their front gate display. Yours looks as good or better than theirs & has a chance of being reactivated instead of a static display. Congratulations on the new owners addition to the collection.

renovate7

My DUKW came from the field to the right of the drive 2 years ago. I crawled all thru this one. Other then the hull issues it looks very complete. First pic is DUKW in this thread. Second two are my DUKW as it sat.DSCN0074.jpgDSCN0072.jpgDSCN0071.jpg

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My DUKW came from the field to the right of the drive 2 years ago. I crawled all thru this one. Other then the hull issues it looks very complete. First pic is DUKW in this thread. Second two are my DUKW as it sat.
Looks like the CTIS is still present on that one, which is a blessing for someone doing a restoration.

JH1

All of these DUKWs look cherry, to me. I just picked one up that had a few inches of forest loam on it, everywhere. We literally used a flat bladed shovel to scoop the stuff off of the deck. Prop driveline rusted completely through, engine stuck, rear wheels stuck, no flooring left, massive rust all over, etc. It will run and float again. Trust me. Figure it will take 10 sheets of 4x8 steel to redo the sides and bottom. Bow and stern are ok. Never say die! [thumbzup]IMAG0794.jpgIMAG0802.jpgIMAG0800.jpg JH1

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks