• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Some M1010 Camper Box Mods

chevymike

So I haven't really shared that much of my M1010 camper build, as it's not for everyone. Some will scorn at me, others think it's cool. I am building my own camper the way I want, so that's good enough for me. Thought I might share a couple big box mods I have been working on.

This is the completed roof raise. I added 8". Built framing for all four side and then sheet aluminum for the main panels. Bent corner pieces with a homemade die on my press. Came out nice and I can stand upright inside. :giggle:

0926211420.jpg

Finishing up a new rear wall with the doors removed and adding a single camper door in the middle. Built framework and sheeted with aluminum.

0326221347.jpg

All of the added framework and sheet is held with Sikaflex adhesive/sealant and structural rivets. My full build thread is in my signature, if you're interested.

ANGRET

I'm not too familiar with the site so I apologize if I'm messing up. I'm thinking a buy a M1010. It doesn't have the original litter and bunk setup. I would like to restore it to original. Do you have or know someone that is getting rid of the OEM stuff?

chevymike

I'm not too familiar with the site so I apologize if I'm messing up. I'm thinking a buy a M1010. It doesn't have the original litter and bunk setup. I would like to restore it to original. Do you have or know someone that is getting rid of the OEM stuff?
No sadly I don't. I would say to search for CUCV groups on Facebook and you might find folks who are selling parts. My first M1010, which was totally stock in the back (this was 10 years ago), I sold a bunch of the parts I pulled out to someone. So it does happen but it's finding the person selling them.

mikev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did the same - went the "other" direction to "original" (though chevymike is going to have a nice, personalized camper when he's done...)...

That said, mine was missing pads and a couple of "ceiling" litters, brackets, straps, etc. I bought the contents of a M1010 box from John at Hillbilly Wizard in PA. Now my box is complete.

Parts can be found at Hillbilly Wizard, eBay, Craigslist (use searchtempest.com for nationwide searches), 4WD and Offroad forums and Facebook Marketplace. There are a few Facebook groups that are specific M1010, but I can't recall the names or links.

The good news for you is more guys are converting to campers vs restoring to stock configuration, so you just have to search daily and get the word out what you need before "valuable" parts are tossed or sold for scrap...

Good luck!

ballencd

I just bought a M1010. I am planing on a camper build and don't know what I will be removing from my truck yet but I may have some parts for sale. I am just now trying to get it running. It has been sitting in a barn for a few years and has a few problems. Fuel shutoff solenoid, flex plate teeth messed up, horn inop, headlights inop, harmonic balancer (old) and glow plugs inop......
I found the fuel shutoff solenoid was bad and replaced it. It will start now but I had to use ether. Smoked a lot but is settling down some.. Time will tell. It came with a new flex plate but I have not swapped it yet....soon. I have a harmonic balancer on order from Rock Auto. I think I have figured out the horn and the lights have been fixed. I am planning on some solar panels, bed, kitchen, extra fuel, propane, roof rack, trailer hitch and hopefully something to aid in the fuel mileage and highway speeds.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks