• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Some of my collection

CharlesKing

My Modern Armor collection

Hi all. Glad you decided to make a forum for modellers. Thanks for doing that. Here are some of my builds..Some of you might have seen them some might not. So here they are:

M1134 ATGM
M1129 Mortar
LAV III
ANTPS 5 (prototype build)

Attachments

Last edited:
Charles,

Glad to see from you again. Do you work, or sleep, or have a family, or anything? The amount of detail you put into each model is amazing! I'm estimating about 150 to 200 hours of work on each one. please don't tell me if it's less than 100 hours.

About posting the pics, I have mine in the mypictures folder on my PC. I've never tried embedding pics from another host. Sorry can't help you there.

CharlesKing

Re: RE: Some of my collection

bigbee said:
Charles,

Glad to see from you again. Do you work, or sleep, or have a family, or anything? The amount of detail you put into each model is amazing! I'm estimating about 150 to 200 hours of work on each one. please don't tell me if it's less than 100 hours.

About posting the pics, I have mine in the mypictures folder on my PC. I've never tried embedding pics from another host. Sorry can't help you there.
Actually Braineach took way less time to build. Say about 60 hours on and off. ;)

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Some of my collection

Outstanding work Charles! Do you have images of drivetrains (bottom views) and/or engine compartments, by chance, from the HEMTT perhaps?....

CharlesKing

Re: RE: Re: RE: Some of my collection

cranetruck said:
Outstanding work Charles! Do you have images of drivetrains (bottom views) and/or engine compartments, by chance, from the HEMTT perhaps?....
I think so- I'll check for you and get back.

M1075

Yes, outstanding work! I would love to have a nice model like that M1074 to sit on my desk and appreciate all through the work day (truck looks to be M1075 though, not M1074).

Armada

Outstanding!!! You have a true talent sir! I really enjoyed looking at the pictures and all of the 'extras' on each model. They look as though the driver just stepped out so the picture could be taken.

CharlesKing

Thanks everyone. M1075, you're right, it is the M1075. I made a mistake. The M1074 is has the crane on it does it not? Thanks again. Björn, thanks for the comments. I am not sure I will get around to building that particual vehicle but you never know ;)

I am planning a container truck, with even greater details somtime at the end of the year. Just moved into a apartment with my girlfriend. So I'll have to wait until we find a bigger place.

My favortie model of all time is the MK48 LVS, which is 90% scratchbuilt:

Lots of detail went into build this model.

Another favorite on mine is this front loader converstion:

The basis for the model is a 1/32 toy-like remote control from NewRay(never heard of them before) Naturally, there were many mistakes and inaccuracies on this vehicle when I bought it. Quite understandable as it wasn't meant to be a a collectible item but merely a simple toy for kids around the age of 5-7 years of age. My interest was to build a wheel loader after seeing Mig's version but didn't want to spend the amount they were asking for the model(yes, I know...cheap person ;) )
Anyhow, I wasn't too fond of the look of Mig's version, as I wanted something more
heavy-looking. Since there weren't anything in kit form, especially in 1/35 scale, I decided to look at other alternatives. So I was out grocery shopping and spotted this toy-like wheel loader. I stopped and looked at it and my mind started as usual sketching out the design aspects. I noticed it was not much of a model with not detailing what-so-ever, and a remote control toy at that. So I forgot about it, although I took noticed of the name of this particular model brand and decided I'll do a search on the net, just for the hell of it.
Doing an INTERNET search for this particular vehicle brand version I noticed I would have to do an extreme modification of the toy wheel loader if I wanted a nice representation of the real wheel loader. So after many days of contemplation and preparation I decided to buy the toy and go to work on it. Like I mentioned before, I did a reasonable amount of re-construction and refurbishing to get it to look like a descent enough model to be displayed. I had to remove all the remote devices and spokes motors and what-nots from within the toy loader. All sealed-up
openings had to be cut out as well as other areas had to be cut out like on the real vehicle. Some parts were removed and new scratch built pieces were used in it's place. It was a good bit of work but the results was all worth it.
All grab-irons, hydraulic hoses, pipings, antennae, wipers, support window braces, hinges, side view mirrors support braces, air intake, step grills, mud guards, rear view mirror and a drag hook were all scratch built.
Since I wanted a military version look I decided to paint it green and added all the necessary details like the strobe light and antennae. I think the end result really stands out than the original toy-like wheel loader. Now, this particular model is the L220E Wheel Loader manufacture by Volvo. I personally have no idea if this particular model exist in military colors but regardless if one exist or not, it does look good wearing the military color scheme, for sure.
This is the 1/32 scale Volvo L220E Wheel loader. Took me 6 days to get the results you see in the pics. Again, the pics do not do it justice. I still have a hard time getting perfect pics. Enjoy the pics anyhow. I'll like to count this model as the first model of the new year if I may but technically it isn't.

This is what the Toy-like Wheel loader look liked before the transformation:

-----------------------------------------------------

This is what it looks like now:

Attachments

Last edited:

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Absolutely outstanding! Thank you for sharing these pics. If you need any detail shots, I am sure the guys on this list will be more than willing to help out! My suggestions for future models:

USMC MTVR
MW24C Case loader
Freightliner M917A1 dump (my true dream truck!)

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks