• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sound,Heat insulation

MikeON

Don't know if this should go here or not.If not feel free to move it. DIY Lizard skin check out this site{ http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/alternative-lizard-skin-103610.html?highlight=lizard+skin }Hope this help's.And I hope I did not break any rule's.
That link doesn't work for me. Here is Lizardskin's website.
http://www.lizardskin.com/

Looks like interesting stuff. Have you or any other Steel Soldier members used this? I'm fixing up a hard top for my deuce and this might be nice on the inside.

nk14zp

No i have not tryed it my self yet. after you click on the link in the address bar you have to add a d to hotroders so it says hotrodders tryed to fix it with edit but that didnt work.

3dubs

I know it flexes too much to paint CARC over it. But it works very good. I know the insulation works great. It is hot in Houston and the roads can fry an egg. It sprays on so it fills in great. The sound barrier is great too. I have used it in old VW's and the difference is amazing. But to paint it you need to use paint that would go on plastic bumper. Because of the flexibilty and tuffness. CARC is britle and will crack. But the Lizard Skin dries flat black. I have lots of information on Lizard Skin if you want it.

yeager1

3dubs,
Very interesting stuff. If you paint a ridged steel panel, like the transmission tunnel cover in an M35, it shouldn't flex much. What can I paint over it with? Any advantage to painting the inside vs. outside?

3dubs

It just depends. Because you spray it on, so you can decide how thick it is. Obviously what it is on makes some difference. Also will it be stepped on. It is like bed liner flexing. Most auto paints used today have no problems because they will work on the plastic bumpers and they flex a lot. Even if you put the Lizard Skin on an I beam and then put weight on it the I beam may not move but the Lizard Skin will give some. It may not damage the Lizard Skin but it may damage the paint. The Lizard Skin products work great. If you are gong to be walking on it add a mat or something. But it is already flat black. If it gets wet it will look faded but dries black again. I was told that CARC is brittle. It is like painting on a layer of rubber glued to a piece of steel. I have used it and painted it in cars. I just want to use CARC on my CUCV. So I plan to put Lizard Skin on the underside then protect it with a rubberized undercoating. Remember Lizard Skin cleans up with water so even after drying you might want to keep water to a minimum. If you are using anything but CARC you only need to watch places like where floor mats go and use rubber floor mats. You do not have to paint it. Inside doors I paint with flat black spray paint just in case water leaks in. If the paint chips I do not care because it is flat black too.

Here is some good information. I even have a cell phone number for one of the sales guys. I have used it a lot and got it for friends too. I like to restore old cars and always put the sound control in the doors, insulation above the headliner and under the car. It really kills road noise and helps old AC's keep the car cool on hot days. I do not get any commision from Lizard Skin! It is the difference between a nice car and a great car. if you add a nice sound system you need it. It removes that cheap rattle caused by deep bass.

Last edited:

yeager1

Thanks. I was thinking about shooting the underside of the transmission cover (gear noise in an M35 is huge), the firewall inside the truck (but above where your feet sit), inside the doors and behind the seat. Probably not the floorboards, was thinking about Herculiner there for durability, even though it pobably won't stop sound as well, but will help some. What are your thoughts on lizardskin vs. other brands of spray ons like they have at the autoparts store?

yeager1

Wow, that stuff is pricey! Just looked it up. At that price, and considering it is for use in a truck, how do you think it would compare to roll-on bedliner material? Which is similar in price. I ask only because I could double coat everything in the cab with beadliner for the price of liiardskin. Thanks again.

bkwudzhom

Here is a thought to throw in the mix.--In the forum listed above the idea is to save $$ by buying the spheres and paint seperately and mixing your own paint. Here with our vehicle preference I would think that we would need the toughness of a bed liner type of paint that will hold up against water and med. Can the spheres be mixed with the likes of Herciliner and still have the desired effect??

3dubs

Bedliner is tuff, Lizard Skin is not as tuff. The problem is shooting bedliner under the body does not work. You can only spray bedliner down and on sides. But when it it comes to trucks loud is part of it. Rubberized undercoating does a good job for sound and heat. It is cheap and easy to use. I am thinking about using nonskid inside. So how much sound can you really expect to stop? Bedliner on the inside and rubberized undercoating would work great. To be honest unless you have a loud radio shaking things the sound control is a bit much. The Insulation is good if you want to use A/C. If not I would get the rubberized undercoating. It is tuff, cuts road noise, and helps keep the heat out too. On top of it all if you do not have a sprayer you can get it in spray cans. Buy what you think you need and if you need more you can just run to the auto parts store and get a couple more cans. You can also make it thicker where you want. If it gets torn up you can just wire wheel it, get a couple more cans and you are as good as new.

yeager1

Roll-on bedliners are not as tuff as spray-ins, but can be applied anywhere, like under the dash and around wires. A kit for a truck bed could do a truck cab floor, back, sides and firewall.

3dubs

I have always wanted to know how the rubberized undercoating compared to bedliner. Which is more impact resistant? I know the rubberized undercoating is much tuffer than lizard skin, but I am not sure about bedliner. Maybe get a peice of steel and put both next to each other. Get a sand blaster, start far enough away and get closer and see which one gives first. But if someone knows please post.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks