• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Southern Illinois Veteran recognition parade, Sept 8, 2012

54reo

Every town has their annual hometown picnic, and ours here in Chester Il is the Popeye's Picnic (as in Popeye the Sailor Man). Chester is the home of Elzie Segar, the creator of Popeye. The theme of the Picnic this year is "Popeye salutes the Troops", and the Picnic Committee has asked for our help. We will be setting up for a bivouac in the lawn of the American Legion for the weekend along with a few of the guys from the SEMO chapter of the MVPA.

After some discussion, dad and I decided to put the call out to any and all of the local vets to ride in the trucks during the parade. What we didn't expect was the response we received. It looks as though we will have more vets, many of them WWII & Korea, than we have room for. So far I have two of my M35a2's with troop seats and a couple of M105's with racks, and three jeeps. There may be more vets coming, as I continue to get calls asking if we have room for more.

If any of the local SS members can make it for at least the parade, I'm sure will could use the vehicles; and you would be more than welcome to stay for the camp out as well.

This would be a great opportunity for some of the SEMO/So Il SS members to meet!

I'll post up links to the Picnic and pictures from our turn out last year when the LST 325 came to town later today.

usaforce

So Illinois Vet

Hello. I live in Eldorado, Il. and am a USAF vet. I just bought a 923A1 and am waiting on my SF97. If I get it back first or middle of next week I can help out hauling our "national treasures" with you. I have troop seats and the truck is as new in every respect. I already have insurance....just waiting on GL to give me my title work. I will let you know if it comes in time.

rwbrown72

I'm going to try and make it. Probably bring my M109A4 and a trailer. Thinking about the MKT, but that thing takes up a lot of room and is a chore to setup and take down. Probably just bring the M105 trailer and pull some vets in it. Let me know what you guys think.

Russell

54reo

Hello. I live in Eldorado, Il. and am a USAF vet. I just bought a 923A1 and am waiting on my SF97. If I get it back first or middle of next week I can help out hauling our "national treasures" with you. I have troop seats and the truck is as new in every respect. I already have insurance....just waiting on GL to give me my title work. I will let you know if it comes in time.

Sounds great! We appreciate the offer of help, I hope your paperwork comes in!

54reo

I'm going to try and make it. Probably bring my M109A4 and a trailer. Thinking about the MKT, but that thing takes up a lot of room and is a chore to setup and take down. Probably just bring the M105 trailer and pull some vets in it. Let me know what you guys think.

Russell
Russell,

It would be great to see you make it. We are planning on camping out in our '58 M109 fir the weekend.

There will be plenty of help to set up an MKT if you bring it. I would like to see one close up, I'm in the market for one.

rwbrown72

OK... I'm in! I'm bringing the M109 with a fellow SS member Wade (802dot1q). Pretty sure we will drive over early Saturday morning. What time is the parade? I'll probably bring the M105 cargo trailer and host a few vets for the parade. Let me know if there is anything else I can bring or do for the event!!!

Russell :grd:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks