• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spare tire mount options?

ramdough

I am planning out how to mount 2 spare tires on the back of my rig.

At one time I considered having two of the factory hydraulic units welded center to center, but the weight seamed excessive.

Right now I am leaning toward a davit crane and two cradles.

Any major reason not to use a cradle vs a bolt flange?

What is everyone else doing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coachgeo

phew... that be tuff to put two spares and motorcycle. Weight wise. Is your rig close enough in your build to weigh it with any accuracy to use for caluclating a viable estimate of what each axle's weight will be if you had it loaded pre tires and bike? You'll need that to decide how much you can even add ... esp. since it is cantilevering rear weight.

With that in mind...... maybe drive front tires on and lift it with a jack as far forward of the axle as you can (if even possible) to get nose end weight. do same with rear side on scale. Maybe Im thinking to simple??? sounds like those measurments, you could subract from the each axle's measurement and find out how much weight is past your axle (canalever weight you might could say?) not sure that would work... hmmmm.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ive been studying it for months ! If you feel your bx structure is stout enough to swing 400 lbs out in mid air you can bolt or weld 2 pockets on the corner of rear box that the top piece would be and open circle of say 3 or 3 1/2 in that you can walk up and slide a piece of 2 1/2 or 3 pipe into and then set back down into a 3 or 4 in steel cup bolted /welded at the bottom and excess pipe sticking thru top hole !
And at about 3/4 the way up your hinge pipe will be where you afix the arm part of your crane and weld some groved pully rollers in the junctions of the crane and weld a small heavy flat plate that you can bolt a hand boat winch to !
So you can fully dissasemble the whole crane into small pieces that will fit in your side cargo wall holders above tour tank you will have 2 6ft pc or heavy pipe a short bolt in gusset support on them made of pipe and your harbour freight hand boat winch put where ever !
This is the lightest i can build a sturdy hinging crane that can be put away and yes if you have a strong back wall i would for sure have 2 craddles V shaped with 1/4 in backing plate to keep from pulling thru wall and something heavy bolted in center of where tire rest to use a couple of the wheel bolt holes to pull the tire up against the door while resting weight in the craddle!!
You can look at some semi truck bull hauler trailers for some craddle ideas on google ! I just dont want all that stuff up there all the time visible im not in the roadside flat repair bussiness i just at worst want to get 1 tire down on the ground and swapped and at the end of the day the flat might get left rite there for the dot to pick up at there convenience !

Last edited:

ramdough

Thanks Chucky for the response.

The tires will be resting on top of two frame rails that extend back. So, I can build a cradle for the tires or a bolt plate. Pretty much any option is open.

Just trying to decide which way to go.

ramdough

phew... that be tuff to put two spares and motorcycle. Weight wise. Is your rig close enough in your build to weigh it with any accuracy to use for caluclating a viable estimate of what each axle's weight will be if you had it loaded pre tires and bike? You'll need that to decide how much you can even add ... esp. since it is cantilevering rear weight.

With that in mind...... maybe drive front tires on and lift it with a jack as far forward of the axle as you can (if even possible) to get nose end weight. do same with rear side on scale. Maybe Im thinking to simple??? sounds like those measurments, you could subract from the each axle's measurement and find out how much weight is past your axle (canalever weight you might could say?) not sure that would work... hmmmm.
Coach,

The motorcycle I am talking about would be a small dirt bike (maybe 400cc max).

I don’t have the weights, but I am not all that worried. It does not seam like much of a big deal to this large of a truck.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Chucky for the response.

The tires will be resting on top of two frame rails that extend back. So, I can build a cradle for the tires or a bolt plate. Pretty much any option is open.

Just trying to decide which way to go.

Yea that sounds good ! ive got great hard spots/ corner structure but i dont want the wheel weight resting on the bolt lugs thru the wheels i just want them pulling the wheel against the wall / door and the v craddle holding the weight bouncing going down rough roads/trails so 2 independent things one backing up another so they dont wind up breaking off and start bouncing down the street and land in somebodys windsheid or roll thru someone front living room at 50 or 60 mph

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Coach,

The motorcycle I am talking about would be a small dirt bike (maybe 400cc max).

I don’t have the weights, but I am not all that worried. It does not seam like much of a big deal to this large of a truck.

In your sound proofing thread, you have a "twin screw" (M-108X Series) truck. That cantilever weight won't be as much of an issue because of that... Yes, the rear axle will be "heavier" on a scale, but you will definitely have more weight forward to offset the spares and a scooter.

ramdough

Yea that sounds good ! ive got great hard spots/ corner structure but i dont want the wheel weight resting on the bolt lugs thru the wheels i just want them pulling the wheel against the wall / door and the v craddle holding the weight bouncing going down rough roads/trails so 2 independent things one backing up another so they dont wind up breaking off and start bouncing down the street and land in somebodys windsheid or roll thru someone front living room at 50 or 60 mph
Based on your idea above……. I like the idea of the cradles and then just an all-thread center bolt (in the hub space) and a large DIY wing nut to cinch it down.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Based on your idea above……. I like the idea of the cradles and then just an all-thread center bolt (in the hub space) and a large DIY wing nut to cinch it down.

The circle hole up top to slide the upright pipe up and thru to be able to bring straight down into a say 3 1/2 in cup so all weight rest there until you swing over the spare bolt your lift pipe to hinge pipe with bolts then bolt the support arm in place ! put the 4 bolts in bottom of hand crank boat winch take a broom handle what ever to put your cable over the roller wheel you have in the end of the lift pipe to smooth the lift weight at the winch ! then just unbolt and stow away and hopefully we never have to use this stuff lol

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I guess u could put another circle and cup on the other side of truck to unload that side maybe !
Attach a mini-crane to a trailer attached the Pintle

ROFLPIMP.png

OR, just throw the tires and motorcycle on the trailer
and drop it when you get to the campsite.

Maybe a cooker on that trailer too with a cord of firewood.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks