• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Speaking of auction wins: Hooks,TX to NM

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know that there's at least two of us having a hard time getting our vehicles transported from Texas, Hooks to be specific.
Anybody know what's going on with that...or more correctly, not going on?

Last edited by a moderator:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Its a new guy named eddie. He just started 2 weeks ago. Mon tues wed 8 to 2. He goes to ft polk on Thurs. I was there on Tues at 830 and ill be there monday at 8

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did hear that there were problems with a transporter getting to pick up, but more specifically it seems that you're the only one willing to go there and load something.
My SEE is supposed to be out of there by Wednesday, but the other one is already two weeks past deadline. My normal go-to guy is not driving for another week or so, and there are two brokers trying to find someone to do it.
If you're bored, we may want you to rescue two SEEs from Hooks and take them to General Hood in Fort Towson, OK, for now.
I may even ask him if it's okay that we park them at his place for a while. Or not. If he doesn't know, he may not steal any parts off of them.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have ALWAYS had problems getting stuff hauled out of RRAD at a reasonable price. DLA has no problem paying $4/mile for hauling a HMMWV, so most all the trucks going there with stuff get a load out as well.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah, that makes perfect sense.
As much as don't want to spend two days getting that SEE myself, it may come to that. I'd cost me just over $500 in fuel.
Meanwhile the brokers are quoting $1,500 and up, and those drivers wouldn't run empty one way - well, it's a fairly safe bet they wouldn't.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I haul them 950 miles to western and central north carolina for 1500 to 1600.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I did hear that there were problems with a transporter getting to pick up, but more specifically it seems that you're the only one willing to go there and load something.
My SEE is supposed to be out of there by Wednesday, but the other one is already two weeks past deadline. My normal go-to guy is not driving for another week or so, and there are two brokers trying to find someone to do it.
If you're bored, we may want you to rescue two SEEs from Hooks and take them to General Hood in Fort Towson, OK, for now.
I may even ask him if it's okay that we park them at his place for a while. Or not. If he doesn't know, he may not steal any parts off of them.
I can haul them for 200 each to towson

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alright, there's some sort of light at the end of the tunnel. Probably artificial, but still.
Suddenly we have two promises of getting our machines out of Hooks on Tuesday. Not a combined shipment, that would've made too much sense, but at this point that's okay.
I want to thank you, simp5782, for offering to help us out. And General Hood for not saying "No!" when I asked if he'd let us park a couple of SEEs on his lawn for a while.
Again, thanks guys!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If you haven't been to the new yard its 500 yards west of the main entrance. Exit 207. It sits off the road so it can be hard to see. Old black gate on the drive

Attachments

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for that info, simp5782!
What would it take to make you want to go a bit farther west? I know it'd be a ways from home for you, but the scenery is nice here.
Plus you'd get to rest up in the guesthouse - which may be needed after seeing my collection of...um, stuff.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thanks for that info, simp5782!
What would it take to make you want to go a bit farther west? I know it'd be a ways from home for you, but the scenery is nice here.
Plus you'd get to rest up in the guesthouse - which may be needed after seeing my collection of...um, stuff.
It just depend on if I can find a backhaul or not. It is a long ways but finding backhauls from that area especially from gov planet yards can be hard to find. The uship bids for about $1500 are near the cost. Since uship takes 17 percent of that their actual haul is $1301 is what they make If you do it as a Brokered Load on there. The fee is only $10 for the driver so they can do the runs cheaper. @ $1301 after fees is $1.53 a mile which isn't bad for something that weighs that much.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While there's usually a fair amount of stuff coming out of Fort Carson, I have no idea what direction those items normally go from there. Except for what ends up here.

As far as those $1,500 quotes go, that's before the fees (VT in this case), and most are closer to, or over $2,500. And I could accept a low bid, only to find that the clock keeps ticking and nothing happens.
That's what happened to rtrask (on the Unimog thread). He paid a deposit and has been waiting for over three weeks now.
I tried to find a transport for both SEEs, which rightfully should be either cheaper per SEE, or more profitable for the driver, but that didn't work out. Also, the extra confusion with two people involved, even with common pickup and drop off points, didn't help any.

Then there's me. I've had a SEE transported from Texarkana, which is farther, for $1,300 when the fuel was more expensive. So I stubbornly think that it should cost about that much - which also happens to be what you'd charge, if i did the math correctly.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yeah and at 1.53 a mile I am making like $9 an hour at that distance. It costs around .50 cents a mile in fuel at 5mpg with diesel being $2.35 to 2.65 at truck stops. Plus 60mph driving speed. = a long ways. For instance for a Texarkana to North Carolina run costs 1500 to 1600. It is 5hrs each way for me to Texarkana at 313miles each way. so it is an 11hr day time I get home right at the limit on drive time. Then from My house to Knoxville is right at 7.5hrs of drive time. then to Winston- Salem, NC is right at 11 hours non stop. The mountains are brutal on time.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm fortunate in that I get around 8 mpg...if I keep it under 70, and with only one trailer. That's usually at about 35,000 lbs. total.
Also, no need for a log book, which helps immensely. I never did understand how the authorities can know better than I do for how long I can drive.
There were several instances during the time I had to run a log when I felt too tired, but had to keep going to use up that day's hours. Other times I felt like going for several more hours, but couldn't.

How you do it with noise, no A/C, and (I'm guessing) less power and fewer gears, I'll never understand.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I'm fortunate in that I get around 8 mpg...if I keep it under 70, and with only one trailer. That's usually at about 35,000 lbs. total.
Also, no need for a log book, which helps immensely. I never did understand how the authorities can know better than I do for how long I can drive.
There were several instances during the time I had to run a log when I felt too tired, but had to keep going to use up that day's hours. Other times I felt like going for several more hours, but couldn't.

How you do it with noise, no A/C, and (I'm guessing) less power and fewer gears, I'll never understand.
I have a 3tons of air conditioning in my cab. Its chilly. Noise isnt bad. I wear my bluetooth headphones for music and i cant hear the truck at highway speeds. Air ride seat helps. The roads are.crap anyway. I get 5.3mpg at 62,000lbs on flat land. Averaged 4.8 from memphis to winston salem with an SEE at night with ac on.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 3tons of air conditioning in my cab. Its chilly. Noise isnt bad. I wear my bluetooth headphones for music and i cant hear the truck at highway speeds. Air ride seat helps. The roads are.crap anyway. I get 5.3mpg at 62,000lbs on flat land. Averaged 4.8 from memphis to winston salem with an SEE at night with ac on.
Okay, now I don't feel so sorry for you. And 5.3 with 62,000 lbs. isn't bad at all. That's about what I get, too, although I'm very rarely that heavy.
What kills my mileage is speed. 70-75 is where I like to be, at about 1,600 rpm, and which the 3406B seems to prefer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks