• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spectra CU850 radiator is a three core, not four :(

shotty

Just got in a new Spectra CU850 radiator and even though it is advertised as a four row everywhere, it's a three row. I thought maybe I got a funky one, but comparing it to the radiator I took off my truck it is the exact same. It has the same "made in mexico" tag on the straps that go around the core and is identical in every other way. It looks like someone has already swapped this radiator once and I'm about to do it again.

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up in case you thought you were getting a steal on this radiator like I did. At least its still brass and copper though...

shotty

Last time I called autozone they said they couldn't order it, hence amazon. I just called back, they'll have it in tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes. Supposedly its the same radiator though.

cucvrus

I bought at least a dozen of them B850 Autozone radiators over the years and they were always 4 core. I had issues getting a straight undamaged radiator a few times. But in the end I had a new radiator that is warranted for life. Be sure to open the box at the store and thoroughly inspect the radiator before you leave the store. Sometimes that first one was good. Sometimes the 6th or 7th went home with me. I am never in a hurry for parts so I do not mind. I am usually just replacing my stock parts. I like the copper brass second to the plastic aluminum OEM Harrison replacement radiators. A few members dealt with the damaged radiator syndrome at Autozone. Be patient and be nice. It is not the person behind the counter doing the damage. Cursing and getting excited will get you no where. Have a great day. I hope that helps you out.

MarcusOReallyus

That's a pain in the patootie! Glad you found the one you want, though.

I wouldn't worry too much about 3 row vs. 4 row. There is a LOT more to the heat exchange rate of a radiator than just the number of rows. 4 rows is not automatically better than 3 rows. A particular 4 row might be better than a particular 3 row, and vice versa. There are a LOT of variables.

corvette9

It's not the number of rows. It's more about the size of the tubes. You can have 3 one inch core tubes and it will cool better than a four core with 1/2 or even 3/4 inch tubes. Most high performance radiators are built with less tubes but larger in size.

shotty

Autozone got the radiator in. 3 core, just like the one from amazon and the one I pulled out of the truck. What gets me is on Spectras site it says 4 core,ncore width is 2.5 inches. Mine is definitely a 3 core and just under 2 inches wide.

Well, I didn't want to replace my radiator but guess I will......had hoses off for replacement and was flushing with water at moderate pressure and was truly shocked at the amount of gunk on the the tube openings inside the radiator.....I flushed and flushed and the tubes at the top of the radiator looked much better.......removed the radiator this evening to inspect at the bottom opening and of course the tubes were still caked with gunk.......my question is will a flush with Prestone cleaner really clean all the rest of the gunk inside the radiator? Or better off to replace? My radiator is the definition of "neglected" for sure.......wasn't leaking, but definitely ugly inside.

I bought at least a dozen of them B850 Autozone radiators over the years and they were always 4 core. I had issues getting a straight undamaged radiator a few times. But in the end I had a new radiator that is warranted for life. Be sure to open the box at the store and thoroughly inspect the radiator before you leave the store. Sometimes that first one was good. Sometimes the 6th or 7th went home with me. I am never in a hurry for parts so I do not mind. I am usually just replacing my stock parts. I like the copper brass second to the plastic aluminum OEM Harrison replacement radiators. A few members dealt with the damaged radiator syndrome at Autozone. Be patient and be nice. It is not the person behind the counter doing the damage. Cursing and getting excited will get you no where. Have a great day. I hope that helps you out.

MarcusOReallyus

Throw some Amway SA8 laundry detergent in there and run it for a month, flush, inspect. You'll probably find it's pretty clean. I've heard the same works using Dawn dishwashing liquid.

If it doesn't work, well, time for a new radiator.

Come to think of it, probably any of the new HE laundry detergents would work as well. HE types are made for front loaders, and don't foam.

cucvrus

I just ordered a radiator Spectra B850 from AutoZone. I hope the fun is short lived. I am going in the next hour to inspect the first one they received. I will report back. I need one for my M1008 project.

cucvrus

Radiator received, inspected and paid for at Autozone. 100% damage free plastic tanks aluminum core. $310. out the door. Nice light weight and ready to install in my M1008 project. I recommend this product. ****

cucvrus

I get a commercial discount and that was with the tax. If I do the math correctly it comes out to 10% on the price plus 6% state tax. So average about 4% off list. Make any sense? it works for me. And this month a free Yeti 20 OZ tumbler with purchase. I have a Yeti ice chest. Expensive but worth it.

cucvrus

I also recommend Prothane radiator isolators. About $20. + or -. GM big block insulators 1968-1991 1968-1987 PN # 7-1712-BL looked them up on Amazon and bought them thru prime. 2 days and on my desk.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you can take it to a rad shop and have the core tubes rodded/cleaned out. Much cheeper. Were you overheating?

glaser06

Looks like I can get the same radiator from AutoZone (B850) for 20% off with free shipping using code "JUNE20" until the 26th. Total is $285.99 plus the free yeti mug. Pretty good deal, I just wanted to know if there was anything different about this vs. stock? I've currently got a big block radiator that someone shoehorned into my 1028....it's the wrong length so the isolators don't fit under the clamps and the low coolant switch is brazed in place in some sort of hack job.

Thanks!

cucvrus

If it were a newer radiator I would say yes. but being it is 30 years old the tubes are very thin. I have a shop near me and when he sees these radiators and looks inside he says that need re-cored. That is a $400. job. And with the $325. new you get a lifetime warranty. If you look at most the cooling lace is all green and falls apart and the tubes are that thin it is near impossible to solder. I am a fix it guy. but time and effort are not on your side with a 30 year old radiator out of a pick up truck. Do as you wish. I am giving good sound advise. hate to see you aside the round 3 months from now. Have a great day.

cucvrus

Looks like I can get the same radiator from AutoZone (B850) for 20% off with free shipping using code "JUNE20" until the 26th. Total is $285.99 plus the free yeti mug. Pretty good deal, I just wanted to know if there was anything different about this vs. stock? I've currently got a big block radiator that someone shoehorned into my 1028....it's the wrong length so the isolators don't fit under the clamps and the low coolant switch is brazed in place in some sort of hack job.

Thanks!
I would get one at the store. The past record I had with shipping radiators is poor. I used my 20% of coupons on parts for a few other projects I am currently working on. The Yeti tumbler is a retail $40. item. Any way is good. Not a huge fan of re-core price when new is lifetime warranted and less expensive.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks