• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Speedometer ratio adapter help

toxicroadkill

When I got my m1009, it had 31" tires on it, and the typical 1.3 ratio adapter, the speedometer was pretty much right on, I changed over to 33" tires, and replaced the ratio adapter with a 1.5 unit, again the speedometer was dead on.

Now this is the weird part, the speedometer took a dump, stripped out the deal where the cable goes in, so it went from bouncing to clicking, and pretty much crapped out.

Replaced it with a speedometer from a earlier year 100mph, it bounced, replaced that with a brand new one 85mph deal, it bounced..humm..replaced it again with another new one..bouncing

replaced the cable..still bouncing

pulled off the ratio adapter, and now it's pretty smooth, bouncy up to around 25 then smooths out.

a test drive, revealed the correct ratio adapter would be 1.3 again..

(with 33" tires), all the speedometers except the original read about the same, indicating a 1.3 adapter. i have verified that the driven gear is the yellow 41 tooth, and in the past, verified the drive geear inside the case is the original from the factory for the m1009

what we did notice, is that the ratio adapter is definately sticky, took it apart, and the nice clean grease, well, just say it's anything but clean or for that matter grease, is debatable

also noticed the hole where the cable goes in the yellow gear is pretty worn out, you have to press the cable all the way in, or it wont grab at all

so the thing that's bugging me, why is my speedometer now saying that a 1.3 is the correct adapter, when with the original speedometer worked great with 1.5

anyone out there with 33's and the original gears able to shed light on this weirdness, what ratio adapter are you using?

the only thing I could think of, is the cable is slipping in the yellow gear causing it to be off a little

thoughts/suggestions?

HeisenBob

I’m having similar issues with the bumping. Mine will sometimes clear up at 35-40 mph and sometimes it takes it until I hit 45-50. It always starts bumping when it comes back to around 30mph. I cleaned the gear reduction and regressed using the internal grease that was there. I replaced the yellow gear because it was stripped out. Also had to replace speedo cause the old one stopped bouncing after the gear install and went from 0-100mph when I would go forward. I also bought speedo cable lube and took the cable out and lubed it up. My next move is going to try replacing the cable but I haven’t had the motivation to mess with it.

HeisenBob

Welp, my speedo stopped working this week. I put a new set of tires on the trick and took it for about a 100 mile run. About 40 miles from home the speedo stopped working. Time to pull the cable and take a look.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks