• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spicer 3053 Transmission?

houdel

Anyone ever hear of a Spicer 3053 Transmission? NOT 3053A or 3053B, just plain old 3053?

I was crawling around under the truck today trying to solve a park brake problem, and decided to check my transmission model number while I was under there. This little bit of investigation was prompted by a response to an earlier posting of mine asking why my truck seems to run faster than Deuces are supposed to run.

According to the TMs, Deuces in standard configuration are supposed are supposed to top out at about 54 MPH at 2600 engine RPMs. My Deuce tops out at about 60 MPH and 2450-2500 engine RPMs, I can't get up to 2600 RPMs in fifth (but I haven't replaced my fuel filters since I picked it up at the DRMO either). My speedometer and odometer are off as well. The speedo reads about 10% low, 50 MPH indicated is about 55 MPH by my GPS. The odo is about 5% low, a 12.7 mile trip by the odo was 13.4 miles by my GPS and confirmed by the odo in my '05 Venture.

All of which seems to indicate my Deuce is geared differently than most, most likely a higher overdrive ratio (lower numerically). I know I can solve the speedo/odo problem with a speedometer adapter change, but I need to know my 5th speed drive ratio. From the data I've collected, it appears my 5th gear is about 0.71, vs the .79 listed in TM 9-2320-361-20 for a Spicer 3053A trans.

So, has anyone out there heard of the Spicer 3053 tranny (not 3053A or 3053B) and what can you tell me about it?

From my transmission data plate:

Spicer Wolverhampton England
Serial: A34328
Ord: 19207-10872096
Model: 3053
NSN Contract: DAAE07-850-J019

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine is 2600 rpm, 56 mph.

haven't heard of another ratio overdrive, but I am no expert.

What size tire do you have?

Wanna trade trannys?

Dennis

Last edited:

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
bump/hijack
can anyone point me to a TM which has info on trannies. I'm looking for an exploded diagram.

houdel

Dennis - I'm running stock 9:00-20s. I'm happy with my trans now, wouldn't want to trade unless you wanted to throw in a good set of 11:00/12:00-20s to make up what I'd lose in road speed!

There are at least 3 diferent Spicer OD trannys, see:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=3611

Joel - Kind of rude, aren't you? Jumping in on my thread and then going off topic! Haven't you ever heard of asking permission first, or at least using your turn signals?

Ken - Thanks for the info (Joel says thanks too). I was looking for that info myself.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had two of those Brit transmissions and they were identical to anything domestically built.

dg

houdel

Jed - Thanks for the input. However, in the chart Cabell lists the Spicer 3053A as having a .85 OD ratio, which we know is wrong, or at least contradicts TM 9-2320-316-20. I've emailed Cabell for his comments.

I don't know what the "16.5 inch case" means, though I could guess. Can someone else tell us what the "16.5 inch case" means?

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, so has anyone seen a "B" tranny, or know where to get one?
It does sound like Houdel has the higher speed tranny.
Do you have another deuce you can compare yours to Houdel? Such as what RPM's in first also?
I would be happy to find you some 11-20's, if your tranny has the higher O/D gear!
Dennis

Last edited:

houdel

Dave Allen has a Deuce and lives about 1-1/2 hours away. I'll be driving the Deuce over to his place in a few weeks. All I can tell you about my tranny, RPM vs road speed etc. was covered in my first post, except that I have to start out in first gear, starting in 2nd (as I usually did when I drove Deuces in the ARNG in the early 70s) takes way too much clutch slipping for me!

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went to my spicer dealer for some parts on my tranny. they couldn't find the overdrive tranny, just the 3052 gasser.

Last edited:
The 3053 transmissions had overdrive ratio options as follows: .085, .079, .071, .069, .066. We still build them here at M Series Rebuild as high as .069. The extra 3% gained by the .066 is very slight & almost pointless.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My truck has a 3053 in it. I haven't noticed it running any different than a "A" or "b" but I've never run them side by side. I always just assumed it was just like all the other 3053 series, just older.

CurryRA

Maybe a silly question.....will you guys sell the needed individual components to convert to a more desirable overdrive? I'd like to go the .69 route if possible. What's the going price for a transmission that's already built? I've built many SM420 4 speeds over the years with good results so I'm just wondering about options at this point. Thanks :-D

trans differences

(2) Although transmission models 3052 and
3053A appear outwardly identical, the internal
mechanism is different. Transmission 3052 is equipped
with five forward speeds and fifth speed is a direct
drive. Transmission model 3053A also is a five-speed
transmission, but fourth speed is a direct drive and
fifth speed is overdrive. The different shift patterns for
each transmission are shown in figures 1-3 and 1-4.
(3) Transmission model 3052 is installed on all
M44, 2½-ton, 6x6 series trucks equipped with a
gasoline engine. Transmission model 3053A is
installed on all M44A1 and M44A2, 2½-ton, 6x6
series trucks equipped with a multifuel engine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks