• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spider box for MEP-802A - what type of wire?

tcruwithme

So, I've read a bunch of threads here about what I need to use my MEP-802A in a variety of situations. Several people suggest a distribution or "spider box," and that sounded like a great idea to me. Not being very familiar with this type of stuff, I did my research here on SS and on the internets.

I ended up getting a military spider box from Green Mountain, and it looks really well built inside and out. The price was comparable to what similar rated spider boxes were going for, so I got it. Here's what I am dealing with:

20160401_102318[1].jpg 20160401_102339[1].jpg 20160401_102351[1].jpg

So the input is a 5-wire twist-lock connection. Ok, no problem. I got a Leviton connector at a good price from a friend, and it fits perfectly with the Hubbell connector on the spider box. The Leviton connector takes a 5-wire input and will accept either 10 gauge or 8 gauge wire. Here's what the connector looks like:

20160401_102426[1].jpg 20160401_102437[1].jpg

I know that's a lot of background before getting to my question, so here it is: what kind of wire do I need to connect the generator MEP-802A to this Leviton connector? The connector takes a 5-wire, 8 gauge cable. Will that work for the generator? If so, does anyone have any suggestions on what wire to use?

Any input or advice you can share is greatly appreciated.

~ Thad @ Eagan, MN

Wdr

By far the most commonly used cord for that application would be type SOOW. It's the standard black rubber covered flexible cable. I would lean toward using #8, since its 5 conductor, especially if you were going to be running it any sort of distance. most electric supply houses carry it, or it can be had online, ask or search for 8/5 soow cord.

AfghanVeteran2010

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have a three phase connector you'll have about 17 amps per leg with that configuration, I personal haven't used that type of spider box. Really depends what you plan to power, it should work with your generator, in three phase mode. For power cable i would use SOOW 8/5 plenty of that on ebay. Hopefully this helps you out.

tcruwithme

Thanks for the website referral. None of my local electrical suppl shops had 8/5, so I ordered it from Wire and Cable to Go. Here's another pictures of the spider box:

20160401_140516[1].jpg

Here's a shot showing that I replaced two of the three-wire, twist-lock receptacles with two 15/20 amp straight-blade receptacles. I think I'm ready to go now, once the 5/8 SOOW cable gets here.

20160402_131602[1].jpg

Another place is http://wireandcabletogo.com, I've ordered with good results.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks