• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spin on fuel filter questions

sgms18

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know there's 1000 post about the spin on fuel filter upgrade but I have a couple questions. I'm looking at filter bases & some have bleed screws & some don't. Some even have fancy little pumps on em. Question is do I really need a bleed screw or can I just put fuel in the filter before I screw it on & expect the truck to fire up fairly easily? Next question, what micron filter is recommended for these engines?

Wreckclues

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm sure that would work great. Honestly I thought about putting a primer ball inline like you would on a boat motor.
I cobbled together a wix spin on kit for my 5 ton and have no problems disconnecting the fuel line from the engine, hooking it to the pump and pulling fuel through the filters. Also gives me a stand alone pump for transferring fuel from other sources. With that said I've been contemplating an in-line pump between the filters and engine, which would do the same thing and maybe make my start ups a little easier...

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a spin on filter on my 1009. Super simple modification. I removed the box type filter and installed the filter mount. The mounts came off a diesel powered Chevy Suburban. That truck had a complete system and included a water strainer/detector and the screw on type filter mount. I kept all the parts but only used the filter mount. The bolt pattern is the same as the box type filter. After installing it I’ve had zero problems with fuel issues.

87cr250r

You want this to be a an upgrade. The stock filter housing has a bleed screw, it has a primary 10 micron water filtering element and a secondary 6? micron polishing element. It has a water in fuel indicator.

Make sure you're new filter has at least these things. The bleeder is a must. I don't like hand filling filters because it creates a potential for contamination. A priming pump would be nice. The on engine diaphragm pump free flows in the direction of flow you don't need any additional plumbing or bypass lines. You can suck or pump directly through it.

sgms18

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm looking hard at the Wix fm100 base. It has a bleed screw & the hand primer can be added later if need be. I believe it also has the ability to add a heater. I'm in SC so I don't think I need the heater. There's not one on it now cause it was leaking & I pulled the heater out & stuck a rubber plug in the hole. It's been that way almost 2yr without a problem.

87cr250r

I don't understand the benefit of the FM 100 filters. They eliminate the keys? John Deere uses this type of filter with keyed bases on their current 4045 and 6068 engines. We're not fans because the filters are difficult to install and there is confusion as to which is primary and secondary. The plastic retaining rings are also fragile. There are seals that don't come with the new filter that you'll want to keep on hand.

You are planning to run a second spin on housing for your secondary filter, no?

LT67

I know there's 1000 post about the spin on fuel filter upgrade but I have a couple questions. I'm looking at filter bases & some have bleed screws & some don't. Some even have fancy little pumps on em. Question is do I really need a bleed screw or can I just put fuel in the filter before I screw it on & expect the truck to fire up fairly easily? Next question, what micron filter is recommended for these engines?
Just get the fuel filter set up from a Duramax truck

sgms18

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you cut one of the box filters open you'll see that it has both primary and secondary elements inside as well as a chamber to trap water. They're quite the neat design.
Huh..... I didn't know that. I wonder how many people that do the spin on upgrade actually run 2 filters. The 1st thing that comes to mind for a 2 filter setup is to run a 5 micron spin on filter on the firewall & a larger micron inline filter on the frame rail down near the tank. Seem like the easy solution.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks