• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SS Demand for 20-ton rough terrain crane?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found a military 20 ton rough terrain crane in Northern VA. It's been sitting by the road for many years, and looks complete but obviously needs to be put back into service after a long slumber. I'm not sure if it's for sale, I wanted to know if there was anyone here that could use one before I establish contact with the owner to see if he's willing to sell. It probably wouldn't be more than a couple thousand dollars, tops, since it's been sitting for a while unused. The below is NOT a pic of the crane in question, but is representative of the model crane it is.

Attachments

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have actually driven these vehicles before. I was in an ammo unit at Fort Benning and we had several of them.
They are a maintainence nightmare. The chasis is driven hydrolically by a V-8 Cummins diesel. All four wheels are powered and it has front and rear steering and can crab sideways. It was notorious for blowing hydrolic lines and spraying hot fluid all over the environment.
I don't remember what type diesel powered the crane.
They were very slow out on the road and we had no tractor trailers big enough to haul them. We either road marched them or called the engineers to move them with a M-923 and lowboy if the mission was more than a few miles from the motor pool.
Unless you have a big wallet and are a glutton for punishment I would leave it right where it is sitting.
Just my 2cents worth.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
in that case, would the wheels fit on an M35?
I don't know if you were kidding about the tires or not. They are on some very strange rims.
Unless there is a BIG lift kit involved I would think not.
I had the extreme misfortune of having to repair one that we flattened while clearing a range.
I won't go into great detail but it involved many implements of destruction, a can of axle grease and ether. I don't ever want the pleasure of that experience again.
Those wretched inventions of the devil were designed by an idiot and built by a government contrator for the lowest bid.
Run.....don't walk away from it.......run.

JDToumanian

Kinda ugly, isn't it?

I'd much rather have the crane on a deuce chassis (not a M108, though I'd like one of them, too!) that was recently discussed / sold on GSA...

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, never mind - I won't ask on the crane. Apparently there is no interest in keeping these beasts operational, and for, what I hear, good reason.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks