• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter reccomendation

JGBallew

The "heavy duty" starter I got from Amazon seems to be defective (Solenoid actuates, Motor spins but the fork hasn't shifted the gear far enough forward it seems) Installed a real starter relay already after the current owner toasted the laughable original along with the first starter.

Sending it back, but need to know who's supplying a good one? Getting the impression there is a lot of cheap crap repops out there for CUCV stuff.

GPrez

The best thing to do is find a local place to rebuild your original. I made the same mistake once buying a Chinese made unit off of eBay. It didn't last very long.

im running a brandnew gear reduction starter (PART#6598N)Series 28MT i have had had it 2 years and havent had any problems i bought mine from a company called Coastal rebuilders out of wilmington NC its a small mom and pops business they have treated me well i have another one as back up along with 2 more alts they rebuilt for me Great group of guys :]
:beer:

Last edited:

JGBallew

The best thing to do is find a local place to rebuild your original. I made the same mistake once buying a Chinese made unit off of eBay. It didn't last very long.
Well ****, I wanted to take the first one and have it rebuilt, but some folks here (locally, not SS) said "Buy new".

" im running a brandnew gear reduction starter (PART#6598N)Series 28MT i have had had it 2 years and havent had any problems i bought mine from a company called Coastal rebuilders out of wilmington NC its a small mom and pops business they have treated me well i have another one as back up along with 2 more alts they rebuilt for me Great group of guys :]"

I've a few good builders here, I guess I'll collect a couple cores and stock them for the people who get burned (literally, five seconds of cranking, and the solenoid was toasty) by the junk ones.

Thanks folks!

I went through one starter when i first got it only because the big post on the Solenoid was messed up the nut went on but wouldnt come off so the boys replaced it for me and its on my truck now knock on wood so far no ill effects i have another one for my other m1008 which does have an original cucv starter on it if something happens to it then i will try again to see if i can get it rebuilt if not i will throw my new gear reduction it and keep on truckin :]

Well i didnt have a choice i didnt have an original Starter when i got my red m1008 Sorry if u can find someone to rebuild one or try and do it yourself good luck the guys here in jacksonville said they couldnt rebuild the cucv starters parts were gettin to hard to get

Last edited:

Hasdrubal

"the guys here in jacksonville said they couldnt rebuild the cucv starters parts were gettin to hard to get "

Find another place to get your work done. I just cant believe someone could say these parts are hard to come by. A rebuild kit for the 27MT was in stock at my local auto supply store for $50. Rebuilt it myself 6 years ago. This should be an easy to source item, call around or get a starter rebuilder to do it for you.

K9Vic

I had my last one rebuilt and my starter/alternator guy never said the parts are hard to get, only that he had to order them and would be in later that next day. It was about $10 more over those ones you see on the ePay site, but with shipping it would have been more.

He also said that allot of these smaller gear reduction are rebuilds of 12v and done on the cheap as to why they fail. The way he explained it made sense, but I cannot relay exactly what he said. From that I will never get one as long as I can get mine rebuilt even if it costs a little more.

JGBallew

The Ambulance I'm dealing with was run dry, so the starter is going to get a workout.

As it is it never even saw a few minutes of use before it went belly up. At first I blamed the silly little GM relay, wired in a heavy four pole starter relay, but made zero diff, starter would still sometimes catch, but mostly just spun.

Already got an email in to the vendor through Amazon.

JGBallew

Fist thing get your oem one rebuilt. Then remove all of your glow plugs and prime the system.
Doing that, dropped the Delco off at a local rebuilder, and an RMA for the other one is supposedly enroute. I'm going to collect a core or two from someone I know and have one or two rebuilt for shop stock.

I'm sure I'll see another fried CUCV starter.

As to the priming, was working on that when the "new" starter misbehaved.
Never even got around to really priming, as the "new" starter died within say, 40 minutes of installation.
Literally, four or five well spaced cycles of cranking that never exceeded 10~13 seconds max. Starter motor never got much above ambient and it still motors, so I'm betting the drive is toast, or the solenoid pulled past the arm.

Under warranty so not going to bother to pull it apart.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks