• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter switch wires

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where does the two small wires on the starter go from the starter back up into the engine bay? I need to replace mine as they are falling apart.
Well...my 1008 and 9 both have just one little wire coming off of them...the other is the battery wire which is a 2 gauge wire...I just did the blazer wire the other day that connected to the solenoid...it goes up through the harness over the back of the engine to the fuse block under the brake master...inside to the starter relay under the dash...do you think it needs replaced entirely or just the last few feet?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

cucvrus

I don't think a CUCV has a neutral safety switch. The stock CUCV has a switch at the base of the steering column for back up lamps only. And the way I see it the column and keyed switch are gated and cut so the key will engage in park and neutral only. I have had a few that would start in drive. That was a minor adjustment that was out of whack on the shift linkage. So slightly out that I never noticed it. except I could start it in drive. I only know of 1 small wire that goes to the starter of a CUCV and it goes on the inside small stud towards the engine block. Good Luck.

Csm Davis

Well...my 1008 and 9 both have just one little wire coming off of them...the other is the battery wire which is a 2 gauge wire...I just did the blazer wire the other day that connected to the solenoid...it goes up through the harness over the back of the engine to the fuse block under the brake master...inside to the starter relay under the dash...do you think it needs replaced entirely or just the last few feet?

Probably replace entirely, it's 40 years old.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Probably replace entirely, it's 40 years old.
I just looked at both of mine, truck and blazer...they have the same color wire going to the fuse block...I took a pic and pulled it with my knife so you can see which one it goes to the solenoid...I've pulled these ends out of the fuse box before to replace ends but not sure where to get those anymore...I don't think it would be that tough to find though! You think the other wire off the starter is the battery cable? I think you'll have to drop the starter to get to the terminal to take off that wire too...on a side note as well...look for a bracket that is bolted to the block and starter in the front...it supports it so the starter doesn't break off the block mount ear...there's 2 kinds depending on which starter you have.

Rocknus

There should be just one purple wire going to the starter solenoid. It is carrying 24v and the other end (after passing through the firewall) is attached to your starter relay under the dash. The relay gets it's 24v directly from the 24v bar (red wire). The relay is triggered by the smaller purple with stripe wire on relay when the key is turned and the small black wire on the relay is ground. Very simple setup.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks