• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter went out..........so I thought.

txmytx_catahoula

The story starts like this. I was finally released from jury duty last Wednesday, made one stop along the way home, then got ready to return to work. Got in my M1009 and went to crank it but all got was a "wwwrrrrrrrrrr"(great fun typing out a sound). It wasn't quite a free starter sound but more of a electric motor running sound. Dropped the problem right there, got on the bike and went on to work. After work I broke out the -20's trouble shooting section...."high pitch whine following startup" check starter bolts. They were tight. Check clearance. Gears stuck in flex plate. As I was removing the starter (28MT gear reduction), I heard the bendix retract so I reinstalled the starter and tryed it out. All I heard was the "doghead relay" click.

I then went back to step one. 12.4V back battery, 12.6V front battery, 25.1V combined. The spare 27MT direct drive starter went on. Only the relay click was heard. Got out the Multi meter, 24.5V on the red "always hot" wire leading into the "under dash" starter relay. Turned the key, 8.9V from the Purple/white wire. I've had relays go bad before, off I went to NAPA for a new one. Installed it and...............just a click!

Went back to the relay with the multi meter. 24.5V on the red....turned the key and it went to 8.9V. BAD BATTERY!! Took the multi meter to the engine compartment. Front battery 12.6V, turned the key...12.5V. Back battery 12.4V, turned the key....8.9V.

Another trip to NAPA for one of their 31P batteries. Part number 7235 CCA 1120. Put a good charge on it, installed it, turned the key..........all sorts of noise came from under the hood!! Oh wait, that's just a well running 6.2L!

Good reminder to me..... start with the simple and work back!!!

boomer431

When something like this happens we always think the worst, but when dealing with electrical issues anything can happen. Good job on fixing it.

boondock

A job well done. And I agree with the fear 'the worst but start with the simplest' repair philosophy, although admitttedly I do not always follow it.

SGT LongT

I always like "Hope for the best, Plan for the worst." Good thing you had a spare starter on hand or that trouble shooting could have cost a few pennies more. I need to start collecting spares for my M1009. Good catch on the battery. [thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks