• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starting a MEP003a

427adam

I recently picked up a MEP003a that appears to be in decent shape and plan to put it back into service for some limited 3 phase home shop power as well as emergency back up. I am not new to diesel power or generators but this is my first MEP. It seems to run well (after a bit of the usual cold start smoke) and produces steady power. The previous owner installed a new starter however I think there may be more serious issues afoot. Ive attached a few photos. I have a video of it cranking over but not sure if/how I can upload it here. I had it running earlier in the day so I didnt preheat as long as the manual recommends. The starter seems to "wind up" before the bendix engages the flywheel...and it sounds really rough before the flywheel starts to turn. Can someone give me "start" in troubleshooting this?

Attachments

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A guess I'd have with the noise when starting could be that the starter isn't in there straight, needs shimmed or something in those lines...looks like a new or rebuilt starter...could just be a bad one too...since you're not new to this stuff treat it like you would any starter issue...nothing crazy in there for sure.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

glcaines

The starter should engage the flywheel almost immediately. There shouldn't be any noise like you mentioned. Don't try to start it anymore until you find the problem or you will likely cause damage. Something is definitely wrong.

427adam

Thanks for the replies.
Starter is now removed. Nothing obviously wrong. Flywheel teeth still intact. Starter sticker indicates the its a "type II." My generator was made in 86. From what Ive read the type I was replaced by the more efficient type II in 1990. The type II supposedly will work on the older models. I guess Ill have the starter tested. Not sure how to proceed if it tests ok...but will let you know

Attachments

Last edited:

Ray70

I think you have a problem with the bendix drive on that starter.
FYI, bench testing may not show the problem if there is no resistance applied to the starter drive.
In all honesty it is probably going to be cheaper and faster to just buy a new one for about $120 than to have yours fixed, but you can get an estimate first and take it from there.

427adam

You have a great point about loading the bendix. Spinning it on a test bench isnt going to show much more than I know now. I could stretch out the starter gear...measure to the mounting flange and compare that to the distance from the bellhousing to the flywheel. Then.. maybe dig into the gear reduction on the starter. I dont mind replacing the starter...just want to find the problem before putting on new parts

jamawieb

Its just the starter. When southern automotive rebuilt those type II starters they used inferior parts which cause failures all the time. I always try to find the old style starters if possible. The type 2 starters usually only last 100 starts and then what your experiences happen.

Guyfang

Staff member
You need a good starter.

On a side note, the exhaust elbows are missing. They direct the exhaust gasses so they do not blow hot exhaust down on the batteries. Your batteries will thank you.

Would not hurt to check the S6 lock out switch.