• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starting an LDS in a can. How?

mattgunguy

So... Getting to the KAMO rally Friday I pertty much cashed the engine in our deuce. Had a battery crap out leading to super weak dash lights, which in turn led to not noticing when the oil pump taking a giant dump until the engine started knocking like a son of a gun. Couldn't see the pressure gauge. Back road OK, nowhere to stop. Jammed it out 15 miles or so to the rally. Sucks, but it happens & the property owner is letting us leave the truck there for a month or two. Until I can get a new transfer case for the 818 and tow her back here.

No as for my question. I have an old LDS (waste gate turbo) sitting in a can that I'd been trying to sell. Thank god it didn't, as I have need of it now.

It was running when pulled from a M54 about 5 years ago. The can hadn't been opened in about 3 years. When the pictures were taken.

Opened it up today. Naturally, water has gotten in the can. There's some light surface rust here and there, and flaking paint. But doesn't look bad. The water pump was seized up, but a couple taps from a cresent freed it up. All the rockers I can see through the oil cap are dry, but rust free.

I'd like to try to get it started up while its still in the can. Before I deal with a swap. Now aside from the normal stuff like fluids and filters. What should be addressed for this? I've never started a motor on a stand before. How do I hook up the starter? I've got a inline diesel fuel pump I can use to feed the beast.

Any advice or tips from those who've done this would be appreciated. The search hasn't been of help here, or I'm looking in the wrong spot. So much info there.

Thank you

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks