• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steel Soldiers MV of the month 2022 - January VOTE HERE!

Please vote for MVOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Welcome to the MV of the month poll sponsored by Consolidated Press. If you need decals, magnets, stencils, or anything printing related, please give them a call!

Now, onto the vote! Please vote for MV of the month! Feel free to campaign in this thread, but please keep it here and not via PM.

1. kendelrio

2. TheQuaker

3. Newport27s

4. aghumvee

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is Bertha. My 1990 M923A2. Her last unit was with the 115th Combat Support Hospital out of Fort Polk, La.

After being auctioned, she landed with our very own @Trailboss where she sat for a while.

I originally went to look at some deuces that he had for sale, but to get those girls where they needed to be was beyond my abilities, and I knew this. He asked me 'Have you ever thought about a 5 ton?"

When I went to look at her, this is the shape she was in:

20210201_130555.jpg

Screenshot_20210827-212556_Messages.jpg

20201205_122316.jpg

Kind of rough, but after my initial "Holy crap I've never messed with anything that big!" I saw her potential, took some photos and went home to discuss it with my sweet lady.

After showing her the pics, she said "LETS #*&$ING DO THAT!" (I'm paraphrasing).

So after negotiating a price for everything, I had to wait until I came in from offshore to pull the trigger on recovery.

Because I have the patience of a seven year old, we went to recover her the first available day I had when I came in... which was February 13, 2021... a day that had a HIGH temp of 30°. One of my best friends, my sweet lady and my son all loaded up in my truck with tools, antifreeze, towstraps and other necessities (like a thermos full of hot coffee) at 0500 in the morning I order to be at the truck by daylight.

Once there, we got busy cleaning windows, installing batteries and airing up tires...

20210213_084435.jpg

20210213_094550.jpg

Next came the moment of truth... the fuel had been sitting as long as the truck had, I bought 2 new type 31 batteries.... will she start and get home under her own power or am I gonna shell out for a wrecker?

Starting the M923A2 after two years in 30° weather

more later...

Last edited:

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After getting her started, pre-tripping send ensuring everything was good, it was time to head home...

20210213_110944.jpg

20210213_131626.jpg

Once home, I **needed** to wash her..

20210213_173635.jpg

The first item of business was re-covering the seats. My sweet lady took the lead on this and bought the material, used the old fabric and created patterns and worked her magic..

received_470926500731339.jpeg

Then for my birthday/father's day, she bought me the overhead console from Those Military Guys... running all of the camera cable, drilling holes and installation took about 6 hours...

20210817_111310.jpg

Overhead console

About a month later, we decided to paint her matte black...

Cleaning, prep and paint took about three 10 hour days...

20210816_211339.jpg

20210724_135041.jpg

Before and after paint:

20210819_183347.jpg

Next up.... convoy lights, signs and CBC trailer...

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
At this point, I realized I needed to cool the cab a little, so I tinted the windows just a *smidge*

20210816_211504.jpg

Convoy lights... whew... where do I begin!

I got the convoy lights and of course there were no directions..... so after fighting it for a while, I decided to wire it my own way.... (which means a lot of phone calls and cussing...)

I took the third 12vdc toggle on the overhead console and rewired it to the batteries so that it was now 24vdc. I then ran the relay for the lights and lights off of it behind the breaker so it was surge proteced.

Screenshot_20220116-163230_Chrome.jpg

After installation...

20211020_184010.jpg

In the meantime, I was looking for a canvas top for my M105 trailer when I found out @fuzzytoaster had something called a "CBC" shelter... a short trip to Dallas later....

received_596539858437496.jpeg

20211021_182850.jpg

Shortly thereafter, one of our members was moving and had a set of "CONVOY" banners available so....

20211101_183227.jpg

20211101_180845.jpg

After which I was alerted that I could get a NOS cargo cover and bows for a reasonable price from @Csm Davis so I made a quick trip to Mississippi...

20211103_091453.jpg

So..... here she is; it took about 10 months of work to change her from a standard tan M923A2 to "Big Bertha"...... while not "done".... I'm happy with where she is...

20211103_150700.jpg

Last edited:

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Various camping trips and car shows...

This was the "Charity Angel's" car show to benefit children with autism.

20210515_134407.jpg

Bertha picked up "Best Original", "Best Military" and "Top 25"
20210515_155811.jpg

Camping:
20210626_154355.jpg

signal-2021-09-11-153159.jpg

20211022_152201.jpg

Screenshot_20220116-170038_Chrome.jpg

Vets helping Vets car show... Bertha picked up the people's choice award!

20211106_091044.jpg

The Deville, La Christmas parade...

20211212_125743.jpg

Last edited:

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Various tidbits we've added and glamor shots...

A decontamination unit on the front left fender.

Screenshot_20220116-163429_Chrome.jpg

The Jerry can on the tool box:
20211116_161840.jpg

A pioneer tool kit mounted behind the Jerry can

20211210_152138.jpg

Of course she needed an antenna!

Screenshot_20220116-163441_Chrome.jpg

And looking all beautiful!

received_4572721976096793.jpeg

20211210_144016.jpg

Oh, and because my sweet lady @IRIS_Always realizes I'm mentally 14... .

20220116_123558.jpg

She let me make a Bertha shower curtain..

Last edited:

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This next post deserves its own...

We all know there are men and women who served with our vehicles.

I had posted Bertha on a local page and a man messaged me and asked what unit she was with. I sent him the bumper numbers and he let me know Bertha was one of his units trucks in Iraq. He served with her.

He came by to see the old girl and filled me in on some of her history and the names on my windshield...

He and I are friends now and stay in touch...
20211210_134508.jpg

Last edited:

TheQuaker

Here's my old girl when I laid on eyes on her. Looking sad and forgotten, tires sinking in the sand, lichen-covered and badly peeling paint. But even with all that I could see she had a lot of potential...

IMG_5258.JPG

IMG_5241.JPG

Having grown up in Lansing, Michigan I was ecstatic when I climbed into the cab and discovered she was actually a REO built in my hometown, just down the street from where my family lived. I took that to be a sign and immediately decided she would be joining the farm motor pool.

She's an early Deuce, built in 1952, and a great old girl who turns 70 years young this year!

She was procured by the "Navy Dept" according to the stamping on her dash plate so it would appear she was either a Navy or Marine truck originally. She was OD at birth and various shades of green since so probably not a Navy Deuce...but you never know.

She now has a 1986 D Turbo LDT under the hood and during my inspection I found the remains of the gasser exhaust bracket where it was torched off when she was converted from her original Gold Comet engine...

1642379828606.png

Amazingly, after a full mechanical inspection and fluid checks and some fresh diesel in her tank she fired right up and ran VERY well even after sitting for years since she was last run. No major leaks or other noticeable mechanical issues noted. Even her tires were in great shape and were all dated '03 or '04 so someone had shown the old girl some love in the previous few years before she was auctioned. She was in such good condition and all her systems were working so well that I had no concerns driving her the 200 miles back to the farm (of course with my well-stocked chase truck close behind - just in case). No drama of any kind on the recovery drive.

First order of business once she was at the farm was full filter and fluid changes all around, and a drain and clean of her fuel system. Even though she was running good and she easily made it home, I knew the fuel system was still a mess and I was not disappointed by the filters at the first change...Multi Fuel engines are amazingly capable at dealing with poor-quality fuels...

IMG_5927.JPG
IMG_5934.JPG

It is interesting that she appears to have both her original rear axles with Timken Axle tags but her front axle looks to have been replaced at some time as it has a Rockwell Standard tag. The Timken and Rockwell companies merged in 1953, but the operations were not consolidated until later, so axles with Rockwell Standard tags would not be present when she was built. Neat things you come across climbing on and under a 70 year-old truck...

IMG_5763.JPG
IMG_5771.JPG

Other fun finds:

Original hinged mud flaps:

IMG_5978.JPG

I personally have not seen this instrument panel setup very often with the speedo and tach arranged like this:

IMG_5811.JPG

One of the locals even stopped by uninvited to check out the new arrival. Not sure if he approved or not, but he did a close inspection of the tires for me :D...

IMG_6083.JPG

TheQuaker

Now that I covered the finding and recovery part of my Deuce's story here are a few more "as found" pictures of my girl...

Lots of dirt, sand, grime, lichens, peeling paint, surface rust, missing parts and almost 70 years of use and abuse.

No wipers. She had been converted to electric wipers at some point but the vast majority of the kit had been removed so no air wiper components were left either. Needed to make sure I had good weather for the recovery drive.

The drivers' seat cushion was the only cushion either present or in semi-salvageable condition.

She was a radio truck and a speaker, handset and a couple of cables were left in the cab. She also had a pair of the large-diameter stainless U-bolts mounted on the back of the cab from either an antenna mount or a convoy beacon mount. No extra switches left mounted on the dash so not sure on the beacon. I found several splitters and hanging and unconnected hot wires under the dash so anything could be possible.

The cargo cover was a lost cause and the cab soft-top was also a basket case. The cab top did not have any holes and did not really leak, surprisingly, but the front was falling apart and I needed to use two tubes of silicone caulk on it to seal it down and hold it for the drive to the farm.

Engine/trans/hubs were all dusty with the years of accumulated crap but there were no major leaks or major areas of concern. Belts looked brand new and the coolant looked like it was just freshly filled and never circulated. The radiator looked like a recent replacement as well. Even the tires still had air in them and had not gone flat as they initially appeared but had just sank in the soft ground. Brakes were low, of course from years of sitting, but they bled easily and pumped right up with some additional fresh DOT5. The compressor worked great from the get-go and she built and held air with no leaks.

I was very surprised and happy with how good she was mechanically. It was a great start with a good, solid old truck. Just needed some attention, a little TLC and a lot of elbow grease.

IMG_5242.JPG
IMG_5244.JPG
IMG_5250.JPG
IMG_5259.JPG
IMG_5263.JPG
IMG_5278.JPG
IMG_5279.JPG
IMG_5767.JPG
IMG_5253.JPG
IMG_5264.JPG

Both Kendelrio and the Quaker have both been keeping busy working to fix up their trucks to get them back into shape. And it looks like they have been having lots of fun with their families and friends working on the trucks and participating in many activities to share their military vehicle preservation hobby with others. It is very admirable all of the hard work that you have done to fix up your trucks and I appreciate all of your effort.

I bought my 1991 A925A2 on Govplanet back in 2016 and had it shipped by truck from Hill Airforce Base in Utah to my cabin in Tehachapi, CA. Luckily it arrived in very good shape with a flat tire and a few minor repairs needed. The odometer currently shows just over 11,000 miles and had shows it had a retrofit in October of 2009, and had 10,400 miles at that time.

So far I bought a used spare tire and rim, installed a new cab soft top, new steering wheel, rebuilt the air dryer, installed new bulbs in the dash and replaced the horn solenoid. I also bought a tow bar and misc air tools and etc. Recently there is a leak in the front left tire that I need to fix. I put blocks of wood under the axle to keep it off the rim. I am retired and currently out of town, so do not have access to very many photos or the truck right now. I have collected several cars and trucks, but this is my first military vehicle. The day I won it on the auction, a bunch of guys at my work started laughing and asked me what I was thinking, and what am I going to do with it.....I started questioning myself also and my girlfriend thought I was nuts. I haven't participated in any events or car shows yet, but I love my truck and it makes me smile whenever I look at it. Here are a few more photos. David

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Both Kendelrio and the Quaker have both been keeping busy working to fix up their trucks to get them back into shape. And it looks like they have been having lots of fun with their families and friends working on the trucks and participating in many activities to share their military vehicle preservation hobby with others. It is very admirable all of the hard work that you have done to fix up your trucks and I appreciate all of your effort.

I bought my 1991 A925A2 on Govplanet back in 2016 and had it shipped by truck from Hill Airforce Base in Utah to my cabin in Tehachapi, CA. Luckily it arrived in very good shape with a flat tire and a few minor repairs needed. The odometer currently shows just over 11,000 miles and had shows it had a retrofit in October of 2009, and had 10,400 miles at that time.

So far I bought a used spare tire and rim, installed a new cab soft top, new steering wheel, rebuilt the air dryer, installed new bulbs in the dash and replaced the horn solenoid. I also bought a tow bar and misc air tools and etc. Recently there is a leak in the front left tire that I need to fix. I put blocks of wood under the axle to keep it off the rim. I am retired and currently out of town, so do not have access to very many photos or the truck right now. I have collected several cars and trucks, but this is my first military vehicle. The day I won it on the auction, a bunch of guys at my work started laughing and asked me what I was thinking, and what am I going to do with it.....I started questioning myself also and my girlfriend thought I was nuts. I haven't participated in any events or car shows yet, but I love my truck and it makes me smile whenever I look at it. Here are a few more photos. David

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Can't wait to see the pictures!!
Congratulations on the truck way back in 2016 and Welcome to this Outfit!

Next month, you need to enter the MV of the Month!
No charge and even more folks will be ogling your truck!

TheQuaker

Probably beating a dead horse at this point with the vote lead that Bertha has but my REO will go down swinging!

She has come a long way in a short time and I am very proud of her.

Here are some additional things that I've accomplished so far on my old girl...with some before and after pics.

Remote brake reservoir - installed before the recovery drive to the farm:

1643070030427.png

Bed is solid but had a lot of normal surface rust from good use over the years. Prep, red oxide primer and some coats of black low-gloss enamel (just painted in the pic so looks very glossy). Very durable combination:

1643069890202.png

I picked up a hardtop in pretty good shape as well when I bought her to replace the worn-out soft top. Disassembled it, prepped it, knocked out a couple of the bigger dents, primed, painted and reassembled on the truck with new gaskets:

1643070592204.png

Typical Deuce J-pipe rust-out at the elbow. Replaced:

1643071268003.png

The air shift switch housing cracked and the whole assembly needed a refurb. So I replaced the switch, the unreadable plate and installed an amber lens that can be easily seen in full sun:

1643071482725.png

Alcohol air dryer plumbed in above the spare location as she is a Michigan girl and needs to be drivable in below freezing temps (Pioneer tool rack was removed):

1643071821823.png

Lollipop front amber/rear red lights were added as turn signals and for better visibility to other drivers to the sides and rear. I converted the original marker lights to be constant-on parking lamps along with the headlights. I also added side marker lights at the same time as the lollipops:

1643072313805.png

Combination of NOS and new-production seat covers all-around. I found some NOS driver and passenger backrest cushions:

1643073073606.png

Spin-on conversions done for fuel and oil:

1643073971522.png

And, obviously, lots of time addressing the peeling paint and surface rust, prep, primer and coats of 23070 semi-gloss. It was her original color when she left the plant a few miles away from where she resides now. I added a little contrast by painting her grille and tow hooks black. She's not done yet, but I'm getting to it as time and weather allow:

1643073727037.png

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Probably beating a dead horse at this point with the vote lead that Bertha has but my REO will go down swinging!

She has come a long way in a short time and I am very proud of her.

Here are some additional things that I've accomplished so far on my old girl...with some before and after pics.

Remote brake reservoir - installed before the recovery drive to the farm:

View attachment 856925

Bed is solid but had a lot of normal surface rust from good use over the years. Prep, red oxide primer and some coats of black low-gloss enamel (just painted in the pic so looks very glossy). Very durable combination:

View attachment 856924

I picked up a hardtop in pretty good shape as well when I bought her to replace the worn-out soft top. Disassembled it, prepped it, knocked out a couple of the bigger dents, primed, painted and reassembled on the truck with new gaskets:

View attachment 856926

Typical Deuce J-pipe rust-out at the elbow. Replaced:

View attachment 856927

The air shift switch housing cracked and the whole assembly needed a refurb. So I replaced the switch, the unreadable plate and installed an amber lens that can be easily seen in full sun:

View attachment 856928

Alcohol air dryer plumbed in above the spare location as she is a Michigan girl and needs to be drivable in below freezing temps (Pioneer tool rack was removed):

View attachment 856929

Lollipop front amber/rear red lights were added as turn signals and for better visibility to other drivers to the sides and rear. I converted the original marker lights to be constant-on parking lamps along with the headlights. I also added side marker lights at the same time as the lollipops:

View attachment 856934

Combination of NOS and new-production seat covers all-around. I found some NOS driver and passenger backrest cushions:

View attachment 856939

Spin-on conversions done for fuel and oil:

View attachment 856941

And, obviously, lots of time addressing the peeling paint and surface rust, prep, primer and coats of 23070 semi-gloss. It was her original color when she left the plant a few miles away from where she resides now. I added a little contrast by painting her grille and tow hooks black. She's not done yet, but I'm getting to it as time and weather allow:

View attachment 856940
You have done some AMAZING WORK!

TheQuaker

You have done some AMAZING WORK!
Thanks @kendelrio ! You've put in the time and sweat on your Bertha as well and she is a beautiful rig!!

I never intended my trucks to be museum pieces or boulevard cruisers when I got into the hobby. I wanted them to be good drivers and lookers but still be fully functional and capable of doing the hard, dirty work. And never so nice I would hesitate to use them out on the farm.

Overall, I think I have succeeded in my goal so far with them.

It is a lot of work to maintain and upgrade my big girls, without a doubt. But I really do love every minute of it and I am so glad I took the plunge - even during the "4-letter word" days when things go south with one (or both) of them!

Still working hard and looking good at 70!!

019.jpg

035.jpg
IMG_1273.JPG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks