• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering Column - HA!, how hard can it be?

Zadvark

All I wanted was to have a working wiper switch. Following the TMs, YouTube, and of course the SS search option I dug into the column. I have not removed the column from the truck and is it actually possible to snake the wire bundle down the inside column without pulling the whole thing out? The multi function switch is installed at this time.

Thanks to all in advance.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes
just take off the plastic piece, on top of column, off.
It holds the loose wires together if I remember correctly.

Then the bundle slides right down and then just reinstall the plastic piece.
Youll see what I'm talking about when you crawl under there.
It does help a lot to drop the column down by removing the two bolts that hold it to dash.

It would be a nightmare without removing the piece on top of column.

Replaced mine with a NOS GM part.
Also replaced the turn signal lever with a NOS GM part.

Have read several issues with aftermarket parts that they don't last very long and have a noticeably lack of a firm click when signaling left or right.
Replacing mine also fixed a horn issue.

Good luck!

sneekyeye

Its not too hard to do, really. If you don't have a metal fish tape, I would tie a shoestring to the old connector and pull the new one in with it after you pull the old one through. Lining up the connector long ways parallel to the shaft makes it easier to slip through.

Check and tighten the bolt that holds in your bright light switch while you are in there. Mine was super loose and it was giving me trouble before i tightened it.

Zadvark

I caught a quick video somewhere that was a minor stroke of genius. The guy pull the connectors from the connector block itself which makes for a more svelte package when snaking them down the column. I'm no stranger to the molex style connectors so I see if this approach works.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks