• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering Hydraulic Leak

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trying to track down a leak on my Hydraulic steering assembly. The leak is from the front of the hydraulic control value as shown in the exploded attached TM view. Looking at my components I am missing J & L which are 2 O rings but they are not really key O ring elements in the whole design of the item. These look more like external dirt seals versus the oil seals.

Problem:
After running for a period of time 30 minutes and steering alot, hydo oil is pissing out of the hydro control valve in the front and of the unit towards the cover end or left in these pictures. It will drain out about 1 cup and then stop. This happens even with the motor turned off. It will not exhibit these problems if you just get the engine hot it seems to require alot of steering to make it leak. I have not been able to confirm if it leaks when driving. My diagnosis is that it is leaking from the front seal on the socket into the front cover.

Questions
1.) Lets assume the problem is in the pressure relief value, looking at the TM the pressure relief is set to 750 lbs which seems that the system is designed to be a closed system and only relief in case of high pressure? If the system is designed to be more of an open system like the air commpressor then there should be a bleed off of pressure as necessary but would leak hydraulic oil and thus I do not believe the system is an open system but more closed and the relief only used in terms of emergency thus not part of my problem. Can anyone shed any light on the actual operation of the pressure relief valve. Does anyone know the operating pressure of the system?
2.) Looking at the spool and the actual drawing there 2 machined grooves on the left end of the spool but only one O ring. The TM confirms this is the design but it would make more sense to add another O ring into the assembly. I find it hard to believe that a single O ring is a good seal for 250lbs or more pressure.

Action Plan at the moment
1.) Replace O rings
2.) Add additional O ring to the left front of the spool
3.) Dependant on answers related to the relief value, take apart relief valve

Any additional insight or ideas is appreciated.

Attachments

Last edited:

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Napa had the hydraulic o rings :). I will post part numbers later. The first machined groove is necessary to get the snap ring installed and a o ring will not provide any value. It takes a good greasing to install the spool. It is all back together now. One tip is to install the snap ring before pushing the spool all the way into the housing. Once installed you can push the spool all the way flush to the back of the housing.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like I am the only guy to dive into his hydraulic steering system, I feel special :)

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Swiss sig. line,
"M62 Restored Wrecker"

Nothing like having to restore a restore, can not imagine the condition it would be in if it had not been restored so we could RE-restore it, HUM, maybe I can, a TOSTER comes to mind.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am painting the front cover tonight :jumpin:

The rest of the unit is now shiny brass!! I love cleaning old parts

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Swiss, is this the same assembly as on the M51A2 multifuel? Any further pics on taking the assembly out and putting it back? I am starting with the same job this week, so am looking through all threads for possible heads-up and save short-cuts.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Swiss, is this the same assembly as on the M51A2 multifuel? Any further pics on taking the assembly out and putting it back? I am starting with the same job this week, so am looking through all threads for possible heads-up and save short-cuts.
Yes, the a1 has the ross steering, on Swiss's m62, the piston also was leaking, when reinstalling the shuttle valve it is IMPORTANT to get it timed right, it will move a VERY LITTLE bit on the hold down bolts., In order to pull the cylindler, the shuttle valve needs to be pulled, the back of the steering box needs to be opened, either jack up the front end so the wheels can be turned or the pitmen arm needs to come off, befor pulling the pitmen INDEX the arm and the shaft so it goes together as it came off, other wise your steering will be off. DO NOT OVER FILL THE RESERVOIR, this will cause leaks.

The shuttle valve is NOT REBUILDABLE other then O-rings, if the shuttle itself is scored, nicked, ect,. the WHOLE unit needs to be replaced, the shuttle valve is a machined unit, it releys on close inside tolerances to keep bleed over from happening.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks