• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering knuckle greese

jimmcld

I just pulled the spindles off of our M37 to replace the inner greese seals. One of the steering knuckles was packed with greese while the other just had a little gear oil in it. Shouldn't these be oiled from the differential?

Mike_L

There is an inner oil seal that is supposed to prevent gear lube from getting out to the knuckles. May be that yours is deteriorated enough to flush out the grease. On the good side, it seems that you only need to fix one side and not both. Though it is usually good practice to do both sides whenever you do anything on axles.

It is covered in the TM 9-8031-2 manual.

jimmcld

Thanks to everyone who replied. I finally figured it out. It is not very clear in the manual, but there are bushings and seals on either side of the steering knuckle so that it is totally isolated from everything else. The gear lube has to go through two seals to reach the wheel bearings, but that's what happened.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks