• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stepping into the realm of 5 tons

big block 88

We have left the world of the deuce and a halfs and entered into the world of 5 tons. We picked up a 200 hour 5400 mile M925a1. Truck was perfectly straight and had an excellent tri color camo but we couldnt resist doing our dark green/brown paint job we use on our trucks. We are still working out a few bugs here and there but the NHC250 runs excellent doesnt get above 185 degrees, it runs 65 mph on the highway

we did have to put on a new muffler and i didnt want to spend 250-350 bucks on an oem unit. I had a 5" mbrp muffler for one of my duramax trucks sitting around and through that in there and it sounds great. Installed 2 D8 series batteries from napa as in kansas i dont feel we need 4 batteries and my CC is higher with just these 2 batteries than the 4 6tl's. Had to fabricate a new winch lock pin as i couldnt find any for less than $40 and im not paying that for a pin. We removed the tire hoist as someone bent the **** out of it and smacked the cab with it.

Parts just arrived for our forward lighting with 4 4" square LED's. The rear lighting is 2 4" led lights activated by switch that also will control the back up camera. Im trying a new wireless camera system if it work i will also mount a forward looking camera because that winch bumper is WAY out there. Out sode racks are trashed so we will rebuild them with pine wood.

We will try a few other toys as well on the truck. I have been buying MTM ammo crates and fitting extra parts in them. They are water tight and i through decant bags in them as well. I keep extra alternator, power control box, starter, belts, light switch, bulbs and still adding things. We want this truck ready to go and keep going no matter what happens. We will keep everone updated on it progress through the summer.

Attachments

74M35A2

Move to a higher quality alternator, and you won't need to carry a spare around. :) The starters are relatively decent pieces, though a modern one would be 25 years or so newer, lighter, smaller, and tested to a minimum of 50,0000 cycles.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good, like the dark green. Put a spin on oil filter adapter on the 250. Makes future filter changes a breeze. Kits in stock.

big block 88

Hey scar i already got your spin on oil kit man. Think i might do the spin fuel filters also.

The paint is DuPont and its a creation of an old vietnam veteran who works at the local dupont store. I told him years ago we wanted the dark green/brown from vietnam era tanks and 113's. And he made it happen. It took excactly 2 gallons to do the exterior and interior dash. The chassis and wheel are satin black by duplicolor

dmetalmiki

THAT, is one heck of a color scheme!..fantastic..I do like the subdued cammo look, I do all mine that way..dark and menacing. I was going to post a picture, But seriously..after yours! (Humph). I would have "poached" that color mode of yours in a trice if I had spotted it before I obtained the mix for ours. Maybe next time.
Like others, If you had no objection, A color code would be nice to have.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Move to a higher quality alternator, and you won't need to carry a spare around. :) The starters are relatively decent pieces, though a modern one would be 25 years or so newer, lighter, smaller, and tested to a minimum of 50,0000 cycles.

I'm pretty happy with that gear -reduction starter Gimpy put on my 250.

If is was half used up it will still outlast me. :)

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Your truck only running 185. Make sure to get a temp gun and check it at different drive intervals. Gauges and sending units can be bouncy and you could have half a radiator full of sludge. Had one run at 200 degrees by the gauge for 2hrs at 2000rpms idling. And it had no coolant in it at all. They do run cool though

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

big block 88

I believe my alternator just crapped out i think started getting loud then through the belts off. When i spin it by hand the alternator spins free and is quite. Im not real familair yet with these trucks but i have been digging into the TM's.

My questions i guess are what are my "more quality" alternator options? And 2 why is the alternator spinning freely and quitly by hand but when the motor spins it it makes noise. So at this point i am "assuming" that when the alternator has load demand it is causing too much resistance? I dont see how it would affect anything as there is no clutching system in these units just an external regulator. Any and all help is greatly appreciated

Jordan Blake

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went from 2.5 to 5 now I am up to 10 it's a addiction I tell ya.
Be very careful this is a bad fever you can't make go away lol.

By spinning by hand your not making it go fast enough for bearings to make noise.

74M35A2

The stock alternators are junk. The pulley may he spinning free on the shaft, or the front bearing is bad and gets loud when loaded by belt tension. Your replacement choices are in the price range of $89 and up. You can get a Chinese unit with a one year warranty and near stock output for the $89 path. The Wolverine link above is good in that it is full support, the guy actually answers the phone unlike orher distributors. I offer high quakity/high output units that are more than double the stock output, with a 3 year warranty, but it is not needed for just a stock replacement, and it is only for the 8.3L Cummins.

big block 88

Awesome Thanks fellas im going to hit up wolverine monday morning and see what we can get worked out. I am impressed by their kit being only $255 i think that is awesome.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks