• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Still no power

jsthnt@gmail.com

I am still having power issues in 4th and 5th. I had a bunch of rust in my tank, the in tank pump failed, and the filters plugged up and a result. I have taken care of all of these issues, but I still can not get over 1800 rpm in 4th or 5th. The egt's went down with the filter change. I took off the air filter to see if this would help but there were no improvement. There is oily residue on the intake side of the turbo. I think that the flame heater is leaking which would explain the residue since I run some wvo and wmo. My deuce was a non turbo and I added a turbo a year ago and I finally adjusted the timing. From reading the HH threads lately I think if might be the O-rings might need to be replaced due to the wvo. I get up to 1600 to 1800 rpm in 5th with a quarter of the pedal and get no improvement in rpm when I push the pedal to the floor. Is this a governor issue, ip failing, HH failing, injectors, valves, or something else. Any suggestions or personal experience's would be very useful for me and others. Thanks for the help.

brianp454

Sorry to hear you're still having trouble. Didn't you have a separate thread for this a couple weeks ago? I don’t think you are getting enough fuel squirted in there. HH? Didn't you ask about getting some o-rings for the HH a while back?

I removed my turbo a while back and noticed the wet soot in the intake side of the turbo compressor side also. It did not seem like oil and did seem to be a little fuel and exhaust soot. I thought maybe it is there due to me lugging it sometimes when I turn corners in town in tight places (I'm much more likely to goof a shift in those situations). I would imagine there is some reversion and coughing back of unburnt fuel when the engine is lugging and doing that oscillation. It might also happen during warnup and idle. I don;t think this is a serious issue unless you confirm a fuel leak into the intake manifold such as from the flame heater. I’ve heard of a leak causing the engine to runaway on startup after the fuel pump was left on too long (partially filling the intake with fuel).

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check for kinks in the fuel line. I helped a guy get his on the road for a recovery but the truck wouldn't do anything more than idle until we found the kink.

brianp454

Good suggestion! Thinking about it some more, I would kick it off by purging the primary and secondary filter bleeders with the fuel pump on to see how well it flows and if it all comes out clean. You likely already did this with the filter change.

Check for kinks in the fuel line. I helped a guy get his on the road for a recovery but the truck wouldn't do anything more than idle until we found the kink.

welldigger

Have you read patricy's thread on his fuel system troubles? Its pretty thorough. Haven't quite figured out how to link threads.

If you need HH o-rings p.m. me.

jsthnt@gmail.com

I have read it and it was very informative. I am just afraid of breaking something taking it apart, so I would like to eliminate all other options first. I do think that it is a definite possibility that is what is wrong.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
First thing I would do is pull the injectors and have them tested/adjusted. Many that run "other" fuels have posted about the injectors coking.

welldigger

I have read it and it was very informative. I am just afraid of breaking something taking it apart, so I would like to eliminate all other options first. I do think that it is a definite possibility that is what is wrong.
I would think you would be having HH problems rather than the o-rings as you describe the symptoms. If the o-rings are going bad there's a sure sign. If your engine starts "making" oil then bad o-rings can be the culprit. Though, not the only reason for the engine oil level to rise.

Diecorpse

What if you are getting too much fuel? Doesn't a non turbo engine usually have a higher adjustment of fuel compared to one with the turbo? I noticed, when Shawn drives his truck, there is a lot of smoke, mostly gray color with black. I wonder if the engine isn't choking or running to rich when its under stress. I know when I ran mine with wmo, with the fuel turned up, it didn't smoke that much, mine also has a turbo. I haven't even talked to humistons yet about the injectors, I have been working lately from noon till whenever, usually between nine and eleven. Sounds like either way we have a project to do, I will have to drive my truck and pick you up and go to Humistons and see if we can't have your injectors tested. . . :)

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you use the TM troubleshooting the 465 you might find it easer than skipping around. With the way the Deuce fuel system is set up it is more pressure than flow at the HH. So just because you have fuel delivered to the head does not mean the pressure's are correct. Will the motor reach 2600rpm no load.

Last edited:

jsthnt@gmail.com

Update. I had the radiator off and adjusted the valve lash. cylinders 4 and 5 were tight and I could not get any feller gauge in them. This changed the tone a little, but did not help with the power. So I was thinking that maybe the cylinder had carboned up with the valves not being set right. So I added a gallon of seafoam and a lot more diesel then usual. this seemed to help a little as know on some days I can get up to 2400 or 2500 before I get the egt's to high in 4th then when I shift to 5th I only gain 3 mph before I get to high of egt's, and I can only run at 1600 to 1800 rpm. So what would be causing the temps to get to high to fast? I have changed all the filters even the air filter.

jsthnt@gmail.com

I added 5 more gallons of gas and 7 more gallons of diesel to the mix to get to arcadia, Ne to get it ready for a parade tomorrow. There are a lot of hill in that neck of the plains. It did ok on the paved hills, but no better then it did before. The hills on the gravel roads were a different story, I was having to get down to second on those hills.

jsthnt@gmail.com

I drove it for a long time on the non turbo setting after I added the turbo. I have slowly lost power ever since I got it. I am starting to lose oil out of the bell housing after a long trip. 50 miles or so. It is usually about an 6 inch circle on the driveway.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
just guessing is not going to get you far. get the manual out and go through the trouble shooting section for low power. there are many things it could be and unless you are an experienced diesel mechanic, you will miss most of them. if it starts well I would say the HH is still ok, but running other fuels in it unless filtered to a small micron level is not a good idea.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks