• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Suggestions for portable shop / expedition vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrealphus

I was hoping someone could chime in with some useful advice on potential vehicles. I'm about 2 years out from starting a roadtrip from Los Angeles to Patagonia (finishing up a PhD). I'm a metal/glass sculptor and will be making pieces as I go - in various out of the way places. The goal is to design a platform that will work as both a livable RV and tool/studio space. All the work will be done outside, but the vehicle needs to be able to carry around a MIG, oxy-fuel setup, plasma-cut, anvil, propane forge, up to 500 #s of tools, and 2000 #s of metal (ranging up to 15-20 ft lengths).

I was originally going to re-purpose my Jeep as its already offroad suited, and then just build a large offroad trailer to haul around. The more I think about this, the more I think it wont fit the bill.

I've been looking at M923A2's on GL - and know the space is there, but is it realistic in terms of an expedition vehicle? (e.g. finding suitable replacement parts while abroad, getting it aboard ship to bypass the Darien, etc..).

I've also been looking at MOGs and **** even Sportsmobiles..

Any suggestions/insights/comments would be appreciated.

(p.s. mods if this is in the wrong forum feel free to move it)

zout

I have a suggestion - start by reading on here on powered units to fit your needs and their given flaws and good points - then keep watching Government Liquidations for those vehicles of your given choise - then read more on getting trucks from liquidations and what to expect. That would be a great start but no where to where you want to be. Being a first poster - read - search - read read read

andrealphus

sigh........

I'm really not sure if your response was supposed to be patronizing or not. I'm not new to forums, just this one, being an active poster on several jeepers and metal working BBs. I'm new here because I was hoping that someone more experience in the area of military vehicles might be able to provide some useful advice.

Isn't that one of the points of these forums? To learn from those who may have more experience in an area than yourself?

Yes, I'm a new poster - but telling me to "read read read", as if by somehow I am going to stumble on a thread that answers by questions, is frankly kind of d[]ck[]sh in my view.

zout

Well - I was not trying to patronize anyone - meaning YOU. Look under the what did you do to your 5 ton thread and see what ALL my truck has in it for an off road expeditionay vehicle. I can go anywhere an live off road.

I have not had to post to ask what I should do - I just did it.

And you stated above: Isn't that one of the points of these forums? To learn from those who may have more experience in an area than yourself?

Therefore my reply - having have read that thread you would have seen this. Its by far not the best nor the way to go but its a start to your question.
SO tuck up the hurt feelings someone replied to help you out.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess if some one asks for an opinion and doesn't like the response then they just pack it in.

Second one in two days to leave after one or two posts. Oh well.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And by the way, when you signed up to this site you agreed to not use foul language. Didn't take long for you to break that rule.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use the infraction system...

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks