• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Super singles to duals on a 900 series ?

jason@snakeriver

Last fall I purchased a 900 series with the huge 14:00 super singles. I do have a full set of 10 - 11:00 Michelin tires.
Is there anything saying that I cannot swap the singles out on put on the duals ??? Axle width, hubs ? ? ?
I do have a buyer for the singles.

spicergear

Jason, is there still a Tom@snakeriver? I remember he used to show up now and them maybe on the zone.

That said, I know it's personal preference, but you couldn't PAY ME to swap out my 1400 singles on my 931 for for ten 1100's.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jason, is there still a Tom@snakeriver? I remember he used to show up now and them maybe on the zone.

That said, I know it's personal preference, but you couldn't PAY ME to swap out my 1400 singles on my 931 for for ten 1100's.
For a second, forget the impressive size of the 1400s and think "more power" because that is exactly what you'll get with the smaller tires.

spicergear

Bruce, no arguments there whatsoever. I like the footprint not just the height. Half of the time I'm on soft soil so the five pair of skinny NDT's around the truck with thier domed tread is not helpful. Some meaty flat treaded Goodyears or the like would be better, but I still like the foot print of the 1400's. The added road speed is nice too, think I have a pic somewhere of 53 or 54mph at 1800rpm. That's not too bad for the little Cummins.

wsucougarx

There's something to be said about the redundancy of duals in the rear. I have some super singles waiting to go on the truck. But I like the duals for now.

emr

They are both totally sweet for looks and have very different abilities, duels more stable... much stronger tires will wear much much much better, I switch to my duels when i have to drive for more than an hour both ways, I love the look both ways and think having the option is the coolest idea of all, mostly i have the 1400s on though, no hub flippin on a 5 ton, just remove thimbles for super singles and u need to use em with duels, its that easy... Actually after down sizing most of my trucks, i have saved a set of each stored for the 925 1100NDTCCs , G177s and Goodyear and Michelin 1400s, for me its worth it to run the michelins in the winter the goodyears in the summer and deuls when needed i keep hidden on the side :)

Last edited:

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bruce, no arguments there whatsoever. I like the footprint not just the height. Half of the time I'm on soft soil so the five pair of skinny NDT's around the truck with thier domed tread is not helpful. Some meaty flat treaded Goodyears or the like would be better, but I still like the foot print of the 1400's. The added road speed is nice too, think I have a pic somewhere of 53 or 54mph at 1800rpm. That's not too bad for the little Cummins.
Makes sense. I actually prefer the 1400s, too. I was just looking at positives thinking there was a reason the OP wanted to swap 'em out.

jason@snakeriver

This is Tom, just logging in under my son's account.
We build these trucks into potato and grain trucks and we can hit 56,000 GVW. We now have 6 - 800 series and 2 - 900 series.
A neighbor that farms in the sand really likes the super singles but has to run the psi at 90.
We farm in soft mud and I like the duals at about 70 psi.
Thanks for the help. I ran into this when I was working on making a M-211 truck into a M-135, I had to change out the brake drums.

Attachments

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is Tom, just logging in under my son's account.
We build these trucks into potato and grain trucks and we can hit 56,000 GVW. We now have 6 - 800 series and 2 - 900 series.
A neighbor that farms in the sand really likes the super singles but has to run the psi at 90.
We farm in soft mud and I like the duals at about 70 psi.
Thanks for the help. I ran into this when I was working on making a M-211 truck into a M-135, I had to change out the brake drums.

Why does your neighbor have to run the psi so high? I would think he would have better traction in sand with lower psi.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks