• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Supplemental bed armor placement help

TOM R

I'm adding the supplimental bed armor to my 998, the manual dosent show placement

Do I line the panel up with front of bed ?

Does it touch the upper or lower overlapped panel?

Does it use one of the existing rivets in the front lower part of the wheel well?

I plan to pop rivet wit aluminum rivets and have backed the panels with butle type sound deadening that's aluminum faced

the driver's side has a big plug, do I remove or leave it , top front corner of the panels has a 3/8 hole , but the manual only calls for 1/4-20 bolts?

See pics

Attachments

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine is bolted on, sits about 1.5" above bed floor and is about the same sitting back from the seat back corner of the tub. Looks to be where it was from installation initially.

TOM R

So basiy it's centered top bottom and aligned with front of wheel well

Need to know it uses one of the rivet holes already in the front of the wheel well in my pic

Also what to do about the big plastic plugged hole in the body in the other pic

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah its pretty much centered, just make sure it doesn't interfere with tailgate. I don't recall if it uses another hole or not, it was already on the truck. As for the plugged hole, I would just leave it and put it over top. Maybe a little silicone to keep water from creeping through.

TOM R

Can you post a picture of the front of the panel mounted driver side is best since that's the side that has the plug hole

It can't just be centered front back on the wheel well the the slant brackets won't work

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I neglected to take picture yesterday, but found one that i have already taken and zoomed in. The plate is edged right up to that hole with the plug. I didn't realize mine was not covered either. I pulled my slant back brackets off, but the plate is still in its original place.

Attachments

TOM R

I neglected to take picture yesterday, but found one that i have already taken and zoomed in. The plate is edged right up to that hole with the plug. I didn't realize mine was not covered either. I pulled my slant back brackets off, but the plate is still in its original place.
well that sucks im about an 1/2" to an inch too far forward, ill readress it after my slants done, this is why i hate drilling holes in the body

TOM R

Its about 1.5" from that edge. Hard to see in the edited pic, but you can just make out the edge of the armor and the edge of the wheel well.
i think i set it at that 1.5" location and it looked like the strut mounts for the slant hatch would not fit, ill redo this after the slant is on

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks