• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Surplus HMMWV's? Anywhere?

DawGoneIt

Administrators, please let me know if this is not the right forum for this thread.

My question to anyone who knows is what is happening with some of the early HMMWVs that are supposed to be undergoing surplussing by the Army? this past summer my friend talked to contacts at the JBLM DRMO who hinted that these vehicles may come up as surplus by fall. This never happened. Has anything been published anywhere on what the determination of excess HMMWV's was going to be? The M998 we aqcuired came from an outside state agency. It was a USMC rig. If anyone has a link that sheds any light on this, would be appreciated.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Only a very few got out of the system, a long time ago. No more will be let go. If you want one, you'll have to look at building one from parts or buy one from someone($$$$$).

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
A search will fill you in on more details than Gimpy alluded to. But the short of it is this. None will come out complete anymore. Expect to pay through the nose for one.

SteveKuhn

One of our club members has one for sale. Coincidentally, it's a TV star having been on last week's 'Elementary' episode. If you saw the show, it was sitting on the sand on the beach in the background of the plane crash. I could have a convoy of decent Deuces or 2 concours M37s for the price.

Steve

DawGoneIt

I've seen posts in this forum where members talk about fire departments aqcuiring these vehicles, as well as police departments. My friend was looking for some HMMWV's for our wildland firefighting program. Way back when, he had a shot as a purchaser to buy the wildland fire fighting version of this vehicle for this program, but that did not come to pass. He found ours last Jan. from an out of state forestry HQ that did not want to put the $ or time into this vehicle. He has recently found parts for our HMMWV though. Purchasing one is out of the question for my program. We love the machine we have, and it runs well.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yes law enforcement and emergency services do get to acquire them. However, they have to remain in their possession and returned back after their use is complete from the local agency.

nattieleather

Folks who work at DRMOs will tell you anything, everything and nothing all at the same time. If they thought your friend was being a pest (not saying he was) then they may have told him that to make him go away. Or DRMO like all other government agencies run on rumors and that may have been the hot rumor at that time. It is my understanding and please folks correct me if I'm worng, but it's my understanding that HMMWV that are beyond repair and reuse are being sold at auction as scrap material only. Which means the bidder is bidding on mixed metals/materials and they are allowed to take the vehicle apart for the motor trans diffs etc and the body and frame have to be demilled (read that word as distroyed, crushed mutilated etc) and scrapped. A variation on this may be that the gubment is parting the vehicle out and selling the parts off in different lots like lots of tires and rims for example and then they crush the bodies and frames and sell the lot of crused frames as scrap metal. I've heard of both things so I'm not sure which is the truth, but the bottom line is no whole HMMWV are coming to the market.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bottom line, a DEMIL code change will need to occur to get HMMWV's sold thru GL like 5 tons/CUCV's/deuces. I wouldnt hold my breath on that though.....

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What I have heard from what I would consider a fairly reliable source is that a few Hmmwvs were let go a few years ago and that will be IT, there will be NO MORE complete vehicles auctioned off to the public, they are possibly going to part some out but the vast majority will be crushed for scrap! And no I am not getting political here, no matter how tempting!!!
KK

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What I have heard from what I would consider a fairly reliable source is that a few Hmmwvs were let go a few years ago and that will be IT, there will be NO MORE complete vehicles auctioned off to the public, they are possibly going to part some out but the vast majority will be crushed for scrap! And no I am not getting political here, no matter how tempting!!!
KK
Your source was right. The Marines did release a few several years ago. It is highly unlikely you'll ever see any more released from the government whole.

colt45727

I got this email a couple days ago. I think they have 5 or more

Good morning, We now have the following to offer: HMMWV’s- 7- M998 and 2- M1026. All with power trains in place. All with clear titles. AS-IS- NOT running. Rebuild or use for parts. $12,500 each Call or email for details Thanks Dave Newmanwww.easternsurplus.net Email dave@easternsurplus.netOffice Phone Toll Free 1-855-332-0500Cell 267-228-4238

good hunting

NJRICK

They are getting the tires & drivetrains removed Then get destroyed Thats why the are some many hummer tires & wheels avaliable dirt cheap

B3.3T

There are always units listed on eBay. There were over 700 ex-Marine units auctioned out of Atlanta. These are always floating around for sale.

kdaniels

I picked up one of those "Atlanta" Humvee's back in 2002. I got to test drive and pick the one i wanted out of about 50 or 60 that were for sale. (Side note, not all of them were runners). I spent the whole day going thru the vehicles they had and was suprised at how varied the condition of each vehicle was. Every time I see a movie where they blow one up it makes me sick to my stomach to think the number of trucks available just got smaller. If you are going to buy a M998 it would be in your best interest to look the truck over BEFORE you buy and ask questions.....there are good trucks out there....but also a lot of lemon colored money pits too.

SEMPER FI

keith

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks