• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Suspension Seat for 5 ton M939A2 - Low cost skidsteer seating?

PapaPumpSD

I've been reading that great upgrades for driver seating is an air ride seat. For me, that's too intensive of an installation and they're very pricey as well. I've been reading a thread where someone used Mastercraft suspension seating (mastercraft defense) that those seats are expensive as well.

Has anyone looked at skidsteer-type suspension seating? Here's an example of a vinyl suspension seat (fold-down) and it's $300 shipped from epay. If this one isn't a good option, perhaps another seat is? I appreciate your thoughts.

Suspension Seat Skidsteer.jpg
Suspension Seat skidsteer adjustment.jpg

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My experience with skidsteer seats, and I've been in plenty, is that they are very limited on up and down travel. I'd take the springer base over constantly bottoming out any day.

A backhoe seat has the height and travel needed if you can find one for a decent price. The newer ones are air ride with built in pump. We replaced the factory seats in our locomotives at work for some new Cat seats. They were a major upgrade.

PapaPumpSD

My experience with skidsteer seats, and I've been in plenty, is that they are very limited on up and down travel. I'd take the springer base over constantly bottoming out any day.

A backhoe seat has the height and travel needed if you can find one for a decent price. The newer ones are air ride with built in pump. We replaced the factory seats in our locomotives at work for some new Cat seats. They were a major upgrade.
Thanks Swamp. What about something like this? This is a mastercraft seat and can take a 5-point harness. Could one mount this on top of the existing springer base of the M939A2?

[h=1]MasterCraft Safety Nomad Performance Seat 530004; $200 epay[/h]Mastercraft seat 530004.jpg

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not a big seat person myself. I'm only 160# soaking wet so most of the time the seat is fine by me as long as it has foam in it. :D

I just have a lot of experience with heavy equipment and saw the chance to give some input of that particular seat. Heavy equipment has some of the nicest seating around and there are many viable options that will work with the M939 cab. Finding some for a decent price can be a challege though. Me personally, I enjoy the springer base just fine. It completes the experience and keeps you alert. I completely understand upgrading though.

PapaPumpSD

I'm not a big seat person myself. I'm only 160# soaking wet so most of the time the seat is fine by me as long as it has foam in it. :D

I just have a lot of experience with heavy equipment and saw the chance to give some input of that particular seat. Heavy equipment has some of the nicest seating around and there are many viable options that will work with the M939 cab. Finding some for a decent price can be a challege though. Me personally, I enjoy the springer base just fine. It completes the experience and keeps you alert. I completely understand upgrading though.
I appreciate your thoughts regardless. I'm 200lbs and the stock springer seat leaves a lot to be desired, especially when off-road w/the beast. I was looking to get a seat that has both more support and "comfort" and a modern look. I also want to improve the passenger seating as those poor saps are getting tossed like crazy off-road!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I paid $150 for my air ride from a big truck junk yard. $40 for the protection valve, $20 regulator, $10 in line, and $25 for some steel pieces for under support. Took me about 2 hours or so. Getting the old seat out is the biggest pain and it outweighed the air ride seat by at least 30lb.

Postman515

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have some take-out hemmt air ride seats with custom direct bolt in drivers base for $300 + shipping. You will have to paint the base to the color of your choice bolt in and tap into airline and your done. I have these in every one of my trucks now. They are very comfortable.
IMG_2845.jpgIMG_2919.jpg

PapaPumpSD

I paid $150 for my air ride from a big truck junk yard. $40 for the protection valve, $20 regulator, $10 in line, and $25 for some steel pieces for under support. Took me about 2 hours or so. Getting the old seat out is the biggest pain and it outweighed the air ride seat by at least 30lb.
That's great info, thank you for sharing. Any tips for getting the seat's air installed? I get a little nervous about altering the air system as it's such an integral system to the safe operation of the entire truck. My apprehension is most likely due to my ignorance of the subject matter though.

Thank you,

Brent

PapaPumpSD

I have some take-out hemmt air ride seats with custom direct bolt in drivers base for $300 + shipping. You will have to paint the base to the color of your choice bolt in and tap into airline and your done. I have these in every one of my trucks now. They are very comfortable.
View attachment 626315View attachment 626316
Thanks Postman. I spoke w/my partner (co-owner) and he doesn't want to modify the air system on the truck. This leaves us with installing better suspension seats.

Last edited:

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have installed MRAP seats on to stock springer bases. These are sometimes available for cheap. I have used both the driver seat and the troop seats. They usually include the five point belts. Easy to do and make a world of difference. Another thing that makes a world of difference is a new shock absorber in the springer base vs. a worn out one. I put in a small shock from a big truck cab air suspension in my deuce and I have not bottomed the base out since. And believe me, I off-road quite a bit.

Attachments

PapaPumpSD

I have installed MRAP seats on to stock springer bases. These are sometimes available for cheap. I have used both the driver seat and the troop seats. They usually include the five point belts. Easy to do and make a world of difference. Another thing that makes a world of difference is a new shock absorber in the springer base vs. a worn out one. I put in a small shock from a big truck cab air suspension in my deuce and I have not bottomed the base out since. And believe me, I off-road quite a bit.
Great info, thank you. And how you have your seats setup, that's exactly what I want! That looks awesome and I bet the 5-point harnesses add real safety. They'll keep you in the seat vs. getting rag-dolled around the cab. I can't wait to get real belts and seats!

Csm Davis

You can tell your partner that the military even used air ride seats in 939 series trucks. So you are not endangering the system, just add the seats like the military and every big rig on the hwy has done for years .

sent from my decrepit fingers

shakey

I bought a Cush-n-aire seat made by national seating for $50 from a semi salvage yard. since I kept my original spring seat base I found it cheaper to buy a passenger seat with a non adjustable mount and just use the seat part only

nayrbrellim

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have 2 complete GSS air ride seats. Delivery available to the St Louis area if I get them loaded by Wednesday.

I also have a high back HMMWV seat that would easily adapt to fit in a 939series truck if you can fab brackets.
Did you get rid of these seats already? I'm looking for (2) seats to upgrade my 5 ton stock seats

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks