• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

??? SWAP ??? Magnum 360 to carb to 727 in my 77 M886

41WC18

Been searching different places for this specific project; hoping the answers are here.

Donor is a 360 (5.9) Magnum motor from a ram 3500 van with 57k.

The electronics and fuel injection will be removed and replaced with HEI distributor, MSD box, 55026 intake manifold and Demon 650cfm carb. The Magnum exhaust manifolds will remain in service, as will the serpentine belt setup.

To be installed in my 1977 Dodge M886 with original equipment (+ power steering); being mated to the stock 727.

Anyone done this specifically? All perspectives welcome. This is going to happen - only want to do it ONCE.

speedfreak440

Never done this particular swap but my suggestion from years of dealing with old Mopars is to make sure the kickdown linkage from trans to carb is installed and adjusted properly, otherwise is WILL burn up the trans, the only other way around this is a manual valve body in the trans with the shift pressures set to a fixed state. As long as one of those two things is done it is awfully hard to kill a 727.

41WC18

Good points, for sure.
Thinking that the drivetrain should be fairly bulletproof with 4.10 gears, 33" tires = 2,700 rpm at 65 mph.
Wouldn't mind finding a 4 speed with 4x4, but those are like finding hen's teeth around here.

diesel583

Done it over 30 years ago. You need to put a 360 torque converter in the engines are balanced differently. One is internal and one external but I can't tell you which. My motor mounts were different and the pan did not clear the frame. We fabricated new mounts and modified the pan, they would not interchange between engines. That is all I remember being a problem. Can't remember what year 360 I used, picked it up salvage and rebuilt it. Drove the truck for another 20 years. I've had it in storage since about 2007.

diesel583

All good a lot more power, gas mileage stayed the same, 10. Used a Holley 600, the biggest cam I could use with stock pistons. Set the whole thing up for torque. Pulled a trailer and had no problems. The last time I had it out the gas didn't have enough octane so had to get it at the airport, it ran great on that. I was not interested in detuning it after driving it for 25 years. Also had a new diesel. Now that I'm retired I hope to get it out and start over, it probably needs everything. If you run a carburetor make sure it is for alcohol fuel. Ethanol eats normal seals and pumps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks