• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

T98 Gearbox shift lever removal help

dmetalmiki

Someone with the know how (To) please shout out, (As), I am repairing a crank shaft rear seal on an perkins 6 cylinder diesel fitted to our M715. It has the original T98 gearbox. But I am totally at a loss as to, " How does the cocker maimy GEAR LEVER" come out of the top gearbox cover? (To facilitate easy re fitting of the now complete engine and gearbox assembly). Removal of the top cover negates re-fitting deu to clearances in the vehicle.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ones that I'm familiar, with in old Internationals, has a domed cap that fits over the shifter. Unscrew it & then you can lift out the shifter with the threaded cap. There is a short pin that the cap retains & slides into a notch on the shift lever ball (to keep it from rotating). Use caution that the short pin does not fall into the tranny when you remove the shifter.

dmetalmiki

Yep, that's the way I've always done it. BUT, Not on this sob!, the dome does not look 'unscrewable' and LARGE stillsons don't do it, and neither does a Large hammer and equally large chisel.
The dome does not have those protrusions at the bottom that all other removable caps seem to have.
Anyone actually remember just how the Kaiser Jeep gearbox transmission shifter comes out? Someone out there must have had to at some point or other?

Last edited:

67Beast

From the -20 manual it should spin off.

2-77. Gearshift Lever Removal.

a. Loosen rubber boot clamp and jam nut on shift lever.
b. Turn shift lever counter-clockwise and remove from transmission.

2-78. Gearshift Lever Installation.

a. Install gearshift lever and turn clockwise until tight.
b. Tighten gearshift lever jam nut securely against gearshift lever. Install rubber boot and tighten clamp.

I've never had mine off so I don't know how hard on there they are. When restoring mine I had the motor and drive train done first and sitting in the frame and set the finished cab over it.

Rmtaunton

I believe it has a spring forcing the dome up , put channel locks on it press down hard it will go ... then rotate CC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmetalmiki

ok..what are 'chanel locks'?..I have tried 2 foot stillsons and BIG hammer and chisel..Nothing..so i just removed the whole flippin top assembly..this job is a nightmare..i will post pictures tomorrow..this is a job someone my age should NOT be doing..

dmetalmiki

OK..silence somewhat..So I took the complete top of the gearbox..and then started re fitting the engine and gearbox as one unit. NIGHTMARE!..When does 'one' realize one is just too old for all this?..Well me for one..I almost did give up..but the cadets pitched in and using the wrecker and the fork truck..after some 6 hours we had the 'Nightmare' re-installed. And all this work to replace two rope seals on the end of the crank. Well at least we have the "War and Peace Revival" coming up..and everything we own will be driven or low loaded to that show. We MUST do what we can while we can....(how old is too old?)..when Ya' can't do it, or ya' haven't the inst to do it.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks