• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tan paint for humvee

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Anything new on tan paints for my humvee? What is the easiest to spray?
I don't know that there is anything "new" in the business of green or tan trucks - but there are a lot of opinions here for sure. There is a lot of discussion about "it's too glossy" or "it collects dirt" or the color isn't quite right.

Short version is that folks here have posted about using Wagner airless sprayers, Harbor Fright sprayers and some folks have the Binks. Seems that everybody has good success with the cheap guns if they clean it properly for the second use. The paint manufacturers run the gamut. Lowes and Home Depot will mix "federal colors" if you don't get the kid with no experience - and worse - that doesn't care. That will drive you bonkers! Glidden and Sherwin-Williams have the colors too.

RAPCO (Gillespie) is the only paint I have used. Mostly because it worked. I started with rattle cans that match the gallons perfectly and when I grew into bigger toys I needed more paint on target ;-)

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Give me a couple of days and I'll get a pic of it next to a CARC tan trailer.

If I remember correctly, we didn't use 686 as the match. We matched it to tan rustoleum rattlecan for ease of future touch ups. It hasn't been touched up.

The scrape on the front bumper was when it was used to push another truck, with a pallet between them.

87cr250r

I know Benjamin-Moore can color match the FS 595 paint codes. Tell them to search under "US Government". I can't confirm the durability or their Aura exterior paint. I tried their interior because I heard it was harder so it could tolerate scrubbing. I think the opposite is true. It's a ablative to give a better results from scrubbing. The color match is good for the green and black. I will use the exterior next time. I'm not one to take other's word on best products.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's some pics next to an M1102 chassis.

It obviously doesn't match, but there's a lot of variation on military issue tan items anyway, and we originally made it match rustoleum.

Attachments

Doug D.

I don't know that there is anything "new" in the business of green or tan trucks - but there are a lot of opinions here for sure. There is a lot of discussion about "it's too glossy" or "it collects dirt" or the color isn't quite right.

Short version is that folks here have posted about using Wagner airless sprayers, Harbor Fright sprayers and some folks have the Binks. Seems that everybody has good success with the cheap guns if they clean it properly for the second use. The paint manufacturers run the gamut. Lowes and Home Depot will mix "federal colors" if you don't get the kid with no experience - and worse - that doesn't care. That will drive you bonkers! Glidden and Sherwin-Williams have the colors too.

RAPCO (Gillespie) is the only paint I have used. Mostly because it worked. I started with rattle cans that match the gallons perfectly and when I grew into bigger toys I needed more paint on target ;-)
[/QUOTE

Rapco (Gillespie)---suggests using Xylene to thin. What's your thought on this? Never used Xylene before.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have used Xylene and have used plain old Lacquer Thinner. I'v had no problem with the finish (shine) on my projects. A fiend of mine @chucky ,sprayed about 7 gallons of RapCo and his truck has nearly no shine at all. A normal "Cut" rate is about 25%. Depends on you and your gun too and your smoothness as you move the gun. (sure you already know that)

Xylene will attack plastic contact lenses and you should use a charcoal based filter to protect your lungs.
Spraying outside will lower your exposure, but a mask is pretty dang important.

MSDS (old people call it that) for Xylene is attached.

Attachments

dougco1

Anything new on tan paints for my humvee? What is the easiest to spray?
Behr Marquee Exterior flat applied with roller and brush. Center 10 KW genset was painted on access door only. The right 15 kw genset was totally repainted with the Behr paint. Original desert tan was faded so there was not a perfect match but was close enough for my needs.

Attachments

Doug D.

I have used Xylene and have used plain old Lacquer Thinner. I'v had no problem with the finish (shine) on my projects. A fiend of mine @chucky ,sprayed about 7 gallons of RapCo and his truck has nearly no shine at all. A normal "Cut" rate is about 25%. Depends on you and your gun too and your smoothness as you move the gun. (sure you already know that)

Xylene will attack plastic contact lenses and you should use a charcoal based filter to protect your lungs.

so i am used to using lacquer thinner and have that on hand. That will work with the Rapco paint?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
so i am used to using lacquer thinner and have that on hand. That will work with the Rapco paint?
Yes sir. lacquer thinner works just fine with RapCo paint. You could also bump Chucky (another member on here) and get his opinion and cut rate. He is a "yard painter" like me - but up in Tennessee.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use Sherwin-Williams with a reglar airless sprayer from Lowes. The best thing is it's weather-shield and water based. Super easy to clean up if you make a mess while painting.

While not exactly tan, here's how awesome it can be: I brought my canvas top into Lowes and had them color match it, then mix the paint. I also saved the mix as well as had them save me in their database. Now my "bling" and interior perfectly match my top and I can get the exact same color every time.....

Screenshot_20230307_141818_Gallery.jpg

20230307_113513.jpg

20230307_115035.jpg

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter

The Xylene seems to create some shine and really long cure times i mix 4 parts rapco 383 to 1 part laquer thinner so that means 1 gallon of 383 makes 5 quarts of shootable paint with usally shooting outside 80 degrees medium humidity you can start shooting on a say a truck and keep going around the truck without stopping rite into 2nd coat when your done wait an hour or so and start pulling paper and tape .

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I use Sherwin-Williams with a reglar airless sprayer from Lowes. The best thing is it's weather-shield and water based. Super easy to clean up if you make a mess while painting.

While not exactly tan, here's how awesome it can be: I brought my canvas top into Lowes and had them color match it, then mix the paint. I also saved the mix as well as had them save me in their database. Now my "bling" and interior perfectly match my top and I can get the exact same color every time.....

View attachment 894303

View attachment 894304

View attachment 894305
@kendelrio , I had to go back and read your post again. I kept thinking that if Sherwin-Williams (and you) are calling that truck color a "perfect match" then those folks must be related to the Weather Forecasters. Like I said, read it again and finally noticed the rims and accents (Bling!) are the match. Duh Huh!

Heck, I had always noticed that Dirty Gerty matched Bertha. I saw your mention about "matching the top" in an earlier post too - and I just thought you just needed to have your glasses examined or had a color vision issue.

ROFLPIMP.png

Gastrap

Someone left this nearly full can of "CF-3202 Maintenance Tan" in my recent purchase (after they painted over the unit markings with it I assume). I had never heard of CFI before, it's a good match to Rapco.
I also discovered that scrubbing the old yellowed chalky tan CARC on the Humvee with WD-40 makes it tan again and removed the mildew well. That's how I've always treated faded plastics on dirt bikes and ATV's in the past.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks