• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The '07 Ga./Southern Rally-details/signup here

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ok guys, here is all the info for the 2007 Steel Soldiers Georgia/Southern Rally.

First, here is what we did last year with a week's notice:

http://steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=7541

This year's date is Saturday, September 29th and Sunday, September 30th, 2007.

The location is Unicoi State Park in Helen, Ga.

I have reserved 2 separate pavilions. The pavilion that is the most desirable (#6) has slightly less parking and is only available Saturday. But it is shaded and next to a small creek and is a bit nicer than the other one. Pavilion #3 has a place for children to play as well. The other one has a TON of parking, though, so if we have a HUGE turnout on Saturday, we'll have to move there. So when you get there Saturday, look for us at #6. If we aren't there, try #3.

For lodging, there are a ton of choices. Unicoi State Park offers campsites, cottages with 1, 2 and 3 bedrooms and rooms at the lodge in the park. You also have a ton of hotels in Helen, which is just 3-5 miles away. Helen is a tourist/resort town and there is no shortage of lodging and restaurants.

For entertainment, BFR has found a great Forest Service Road that is approximately 15 miles long. It is only a few miles from Unicoi State Park. The scenery is gorgeous and the views from the top of the mountain are awesome. Now, I can't lie, this isn't a challenging trailride...so anyone who is worried about breaking their ride can rest in peace (or leave their truck at the park and hitch a ride with one of us). It should be a lot of fun, we had fun today checking it out.

Helen offers shopping/boutiques for any ladies that get dragged along on this adventure.

Originally, there was going to be a cover charge of $3 per person in order to cover the cost of the pavilions,but OD Iron, LLC offered to sponsor the event, so this is now a free event! You will be responsible for bringing food and deciding what you want to do about lodging.

I had originally planned on having a rain date, but since I can't cancel the reservations and move them forward a week and since many folks couldn't get time off work for the following week, this event will be held rain or shine. The pavilion will keep us dry and make the trailride more amusing.

All information about lodging, rules, prices, maps, etc., are on the websites for Unicoi State Park and the city of Helen, Ga. I highly suggest reserving your campsite asap, as spots will fill up quickly.

Friday, I will be off work and hosting some people that are coming from far away. Friday night, I think we're going to hit a local pizza joint in my town and early Saturday morning we're hitting a Cracker Barrel for breakfast. It'll be an early start, the trip from my house to Unicoi is about 70 miles. We'll probably leave my house around 0600. Anyone who wants to join Friday night for pizza or Saturday morning for a convoy is more than welcome. I am in zip code 30666.

http://gastateparks.org/info/unicoi/

(If the above link doesn't work, try this one:)

http://gastateparks.org/net/go/parks.aspx?LocationID=98&s=0.0.1.5

http://ngeorgia.com/parks/unicoi.html

http://www.helenga.org/

Here are some pics, check the captions for more data.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How are the temps at that time of the year? Anyplace to set up a larger than average tent?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Kenny,

The weather should be warm during the day and cool at night.
If it is dry, camping out should be great. [thumbzup]
Campfire at night should be mandatory :jumpin:
I am getting ready to cut some trees out of my neighbors pasture so I'll save some good stuff to burn.
I plan on being there.......I hope my duece is. :roll:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The GP Medium was on my mind. I don't have poles for tent #2 but working on it. Tent #1 is still in OH. If anyone in the area has any poles for the medium, speak up. Don't know that I can make it but thinking. Hey Joel, can you wait that long for the welder?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i WILL be there, let me know about the camping, in a big tent or what, ect

FrankUSMC

The Bride and I will be moving into our new house at that time, so I will not make it.
**Any way I could donate some NOS "goodies" for any riffles or contests? Just let me know, and I will get a CARE package down range.
Not as lean, not as mean, but still a Marine. Frank

CCATLETT1984

Recovry4x4 said:
The GP Medium was on my mind. I don't have poles for tent #2 but working on it. Tent #1 is still in OH. If anyone in the area has any poles for the medium, speak up. Don't know that I can make it but thinking. Hey Joel, can you wait that long for the welder?
Both westy and i will be driving through on our way down, where in OH is it?

jward1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i was wondering if this show replaces the one that was held at peachtree city last sept. at the airport? please reply if this show is going to continue to be held by the georgia mvpa?thanks james

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
jward1 said:
i was wondering if this show replaces the one that was held at peachtree city last sept. at the airport? please reply if this shoe is going to continue by the georgia mvpa?thanks james
This is a seperate event, and they occur on different dates.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
FWIW guys I am working on a site for primitive camping that will be within a couple of miles of the pavillions...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks